Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Memphis Slim - At The Gate Of Horn

Since I've got him up at the head of the blog, I figured it was only right that I jump ahead and throw out a Memphis Slim post. I'm sure that Unkie Cliff has got a box set or two that will be more appropriate for a full biographical post (i.e. I'm coping an excuse for not doing it today)

"Only this disc's short length (34 minutes) qualifies as something worthy of complaint; otherwise, this is seminal blues piano, performed by a great player and singer, Memphis Slim. This 1959 session had everything: super piano solos, a strong lineup of horn players, clever, well-written and sung lyrics, and a seamless pace that kept things moving briskly from beginning to end. Other than Slim, instrumental honors go to guitarist Matt Murphy, a marvelous accompanist who was able to blend sophistication, technique, and earthiness into one dynamic package. Even at its bargain-basement length, At the Gate of Horn belongs in any blues fan's library."  Ron Wynn, AMG

6 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=22MXKXMRKS

Pippo said...

Slim was one of the greatest. Thank you KingCake for this instructive and beautiful series.

fcapeau said...

I remember him on stage in Parisian clubs ! Many thanks, KC.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

The more Slim the better! I have some of his music but am always wanting more so thank you for this one.

E S said...

Yep. Memphis Slim used to play regularly at the Petit Journal St Michel near the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris in the 1980s. What we all wouldn't give to have him back again ! You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

E S said...

Yep. Memphis Slim used to play regularly at the Petit Journal St Michel near the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris in the 1980s. What we all wouldn't give to have him back again ! You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.