Friday, November 30, 2012

Junior Parker - The Duke Recordings Volumes 1, 2 and bonus

Okay...let's try this again and hopefully the links last more than 10 minutes. eh?


When last we were listening to some Junior Parker, I mentioned the deplorable job that MCA had done on their remasters of Junior's Duke material, not to mention that they quit the set without finishing it. Well by using some data base tools I came to realize I had alternate sources for a good many tunes; around 60%. I sat down one night and opened the 5 sources in as many windows and started a-b-ing to find the best version. It turned out that nearly every one of what I considered the worst examples, I was able to replace with a superior mastering. A couple I tweaked myself, but only a couple. To my surprise, there were a good number of songs on disc 2 where the version from the set was actually the best of the lot but a large portion of disc 1 was replaced. Once I was done constructing my new improved sets I had 10 whole tracks left over from various sources and they are good stuff that should have appeared on the abandoned Volume 3. Those of you who downloaded the earlier "Driving Wheel" single disc will want to delete that one and grab this far more complete set from Junior's great Duke era.

19 comments:

KingCake said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/1519112703/The%20Duke%20Recordings.rar

wouter said...

that's a labor of love, KC!

unfortunately the link doesn't work ("public traffic exhausted", i have no idea what that's supposed to mean)...

Luis said...

That's mean that Rapidshare pretend to get money from the uploader to allow free users download without restrictions...

KingCake said...

Just when I thought rapidshare had come around and was worth it they put daily sharing limits on and ruin everything - now just a waste of money

not sure how much is left to try - I'll try some other options but I'm getting tired o this and it may just be time to quit.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I agree. Sharers have been targeted and are reacting vigorously. Mediafire is now worthless. Zippyshare is now demanding entry of code words and that's usually a precursor to more restrictions. I won't bother asking for a re-up of today's links because the new links will probably not work either.

My wife asked why I download so much and I informed her that the end is coming. So many of my favorite blogs are no longer and the sharers are becoming increasingly slower and more difficult to use. Moreover, Hollywood's getting ready to mount another legal attack to restrict use. Until now it's been a case of get it while you can. Thanks for fighting the good fight. The record companies apparently don't realize that many of us also buy compact discs and have extensive collections that cost us a lot of bucks. Or they don't care. Either way the Internet user loses. I'm waiting for them to prohibit public libraries from offering compact discs. After all, they can be burned as well.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I agree. Sharers have been targeted and are reacting vigorously. Mediafire is now worthless. Zippyshare is now demanding entry of code words and that's usually a precursor to more restrictions. I won't bother asking for a re-up of today's links because the new links will probably not work either.

My wife asked why I download so much and I informed her that the end is coming. So many of my favorite blogs are no longer and the sharers are becoming increasingly slower and more difficult to use. Moreover, Hollywood's getting ready to mount another legal attack to restrict use. Until now it's been a case of get it while you can. Thanks for fighting the good fight. The record companies apparently don't realize that many of us also buy compact discs and have extensive collections that cost us a lot of bucks. Or they don't care. Either way the Internet user loses. I'm waiting for them to prohibit public libraries from offering compact discs. After all, they can be burned as well.

Goofy said...

Spot on KC and Feilimid. I don't see how this will encourage people to buy more music. Besides where can one buy OOP albums?

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5TVJGIEIAL

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2ZGAY5ZXNH

Jazzjet said...

Thanks very much, KC. I was looking forward to this one and have now grabbed it via Rapidgator.

wouter said...

thank you for going the extra mile with the embedupload links, KC! i finally get to listen to your labor of love...

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC
a very nice collection plus extras - With stuff like this coming at us we won;t let you retire without a fight !
Cheers

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I'd just been reading about Parker and then found that you re-upped the post. Thanks so much. Embed is a relief for the time. I usually download your music and posts daily so I am now current. I save the write-ups in Word because they contain so much information, insight, and opinion. Sadly one of my favorite bootleg blogs has reached the same roadblock with Rapidshare and is now contemplating closing the blog.

When Megauploads was shut down, Mediafire reassured the media that it would not be accused of the same illegal conduct because it used a screening system to prevent illegal sharing. For the most part its efforts have been successful, with some few exceptions, in protecting it and stopping free downloads. I suspect Rapidshare has encountered the same legal pressures and is now protecting itself. So it goes. The consequence will be that I will order music through my public library rather than spend another dime for the benefit of the music industry. I don't pretend that it will have any impact but if enough folks boycott such restrictions maybe artists will produce their own records, as some already do, and we can spend our monies on those who create. The stories of the many artists on this blog who were exploited and deprived of their financial due are numerous and deeply sad.

I am really looking forward to listening to Parker. The blog is a wonderful pleasure and I hope that you are able to prevail. I think the work you do of preserving and reviving, and educating about the music that is an integral part of our culture and, for that matter, world culture, is important and it would be a real loss if some highly paid suits with law degrees were successful in suppressing it and other great blogs. Luckily I read French and German and passable Spanish and Portuguese so I can venture beyond our borders if I have to for blogs that seem to be operating with far less restrictions but they just ain't the Crypt, Buddy Bolden's Back Room, or this blog and never will be. So go raibh maith agat, merci beaucoup, danke schoen, muito obrigado, gracias, and so much thanks to you, Poppachubby, Guitar Gus, and all the other contributors for creating something unique that music lovers here and abroad can value. I hope we never say about your collective creation, as we say in Irish, Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís, their like will never be seen again.

LAZZ said...

What a beautiful piece of work.
So much care and heroic persistence.
I am a lucky guy to benefit.
Thank you.

Luis said...

Thanks! A great post.

gouldee said...

Any possibility of freshening the links on this super post? thanks, gouldee

gouldee said...

KC, I can't find this anywhere. If you could re-up, I'd really appreciate it. Love his honey voice and the contrast with the directness of the music. Thanks, gouldee

Iceman said...

Please re-up. Thanks

Zivoin said...

Please re-up. Many thanks

bventure said...

Based on previous requests maybe unlikley, but if there is any chance of reupping this I'd be very grateful. I have a few of the original Duke 45s, but not many!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.