I think most people from 'other places' are more than a bit surprised and confused that The Neville Brothers aren't particularly popular in New Orleans, at least not like they are across the rest of the country. We love The Meters, Cyrille's Uptown Allstars, Art and Aaron's earlier solo work, but somehow the general feeling seems to be that 'The Brothers' are commercial New Orleans lite.
I know that Art is more than a little confused and hurt by that and I can understand why. Hell, I not even sure that it is particularly justified but that is the way it has developed and it doesn't seem likely to change. Folks are proud of them and all that, but they don't pay much attention to their albums.
It was not always that way, however. Here in the early years of their existence is an utterly epic, powerhouse performance in front of friends and family at Tipitina's in 1982. The joy and love pouring out from the crowd is still audible 30 years later. Listen carefully to the crowd and you hear an absolute love-fest; the ladies are particularly vocal. The band would have been nearly 3 years into their experiment as a family band and just starting to really jell.
No matter what your opinion of any other Neville's you have heard, this is a different animal entirely and an absolute Must Have set of music; my mother still treasures the 2 discs I gave her 15 years ago!
It's startling how young everyone looks, even Art; of course I looked a lot different in 1982 too.

11 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5RMGAXUQGH
Nice Post KC
I for one love this band and have most of their albums including the 2 Tipitina's sets here which are great!- OK for Blues/R&B purists they stray outside of the canon and record all styles of music including some rock classics and this may unsettle some folks - But they have 3 great lead vocalists and are surely one of the best live bands in existence ( and the Funkiest!) - Their 1994 album 'Live On Planet Earth' is further proof of this and remains another of my all time favs - Guys if you haven't got any Neville Bros - Shame on you !
Cheers
Thanks, KC. I like the Neville Brothers, but LOVE in particular the vibrato tenor of Aaron Neville.
I like The Nevilles a lot. Strange that people in NO don't feel the same way. What do they think about Dr. John?
More positive I'd say but I'd confess that I haven't felt the need to have any album since Duke Elegant.
That said, I would always go to see either one of them or The Dirty Dozen live if they played here much.
Not being from New Orleans but have heard that same remark from friends from the City - never have understood those comments. I can also tall you that a rather well known musician, also from New Orleans will also say you can see them anywhere in the world and enjoy a great show - but the only times it really counts is when The Neville Brothers are playing Tip's - and, thanks to The King, we can hear one of those nights!
To many of us from the Northeast, the two prominent musical families from New Orleans are the Nevilles and the Marsalises. I can't say anything against the Nevilles, if making a living producing consistently high quality music and being great live are commercial, so be it, but New Orleans could have a lot worse representatives. We loved the Meters, too, and, perhaps incorrectly, regard the Nevilles as the natural progression from that band. When I think of some of the bands that the media anointed the best of the alleged Boston sound, I would make different choices as a native and I'm not certain whether that's a reflection of my parochialism or just a different perspective. At any rate, one of the most haunting songs I have ever heard was My Blood sung by Les Freres Parents in Haitian Creole and the Nevilles in English on Jonathon Demme's compilation Konbit: Burning Rhythms of Haiti. That song alone makes me a fan forever of the Nevilles.
The willingness to branch afield has made many subsequent NB ventures very much artistically relevant. I don't see how anyone can question the Yellow Moon or Brother's Keeper albums even a little. I think at least part of what happens is that when local guys get national and stop playing here, we stop connecting with them
For those interested 'The Brothers: An Autobiography'with David Ritz, gives am engaging insight into this family - Each brother contributes and tells a fascinating story - Music,drugs,prison and the colourful characters and culture of New Orleans
i thought i had this, but can't find it...
so: thanks a lot, KC! looks like a must-have indeed!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.