Monday, November 12, 2012

The Five Keys - Capitol Hits

The Five Keys are generally regarded by aficionados of 1950s R&B vocal group harmony as one of the finest groups to ever record in this genre. They are best known for their Capitol recordings of "Wisdom of a Fool," "Close Your Eyes," "Ling Ting Tong," and "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." But in collectors' circles their earlier recordings for Aladdin such as "My Saddest Hour," "Glory of Love," and "Red Sails in the Sunset" are even more highly revered and sought after.

The group originally consisted of two sets of brothers; Rudy and Bernie West and Raphael and Ripley Ingram all hailing from Newport News, VA, part of the "Hampton Roads" area. This region had a rich history of high-caliber vocal music and had previously spawned great vocal ensembles like the Golden Gate Quartet and Norfolk Jazz Quartet. The West and Ingram brothers initially took on the name the Sentimental Four and soon decided to show off their talents by entering a local amateur program at the Jefferson Theater. After winning three consecutive weeks of amateur contests at the Jefferson, they were invited to perform at the prestigious Apollo Theater in New York City, where they also won.

5 comments:

poppachubby said...

https://rapidshare.com/files/1894907224/TFK.rar

KingCake said...

Very Cool Chubbs! I've never had anything but individual tracks from compilations for any of the early vocal groups.

wouter said...

same here, thanks a lot, Poppa!

poppachubby said...

Yes!! I get the coveted nod of approval from KC!! No joke, I was hoping this would catch your attention and it did. With all the work you do here, I thought a surprise might be nice for a change. Enjoy the album boss.

I suppose it would just be bad manners to not acknowledge wouter too. hahaha.... wouter you know you're my boy! Enjoy.

beetee said...

I LOVE THE EARLY VOCAL GROUPS. THERES AN INNOCENCE IN THE VIBE. A DIFFERENT TIME NEVER TO BE AGAIN. THANKS POPPA

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.