So... back to the music!!! And what wonderful music we have on this one. Infact, this is by far my favorite Percy Sledge side. It's an album of covers, but he subtlely makes them his own. You may find you prefer his treatment over some of the originals. He does however, set his sights really high. Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Solomon Burke... you get the picture? Sledge went for the biggest and brightest, somewhat risky but ultimately rewarding.
Aside from each song, what makes this one special for me is the overall vibe - the tracking is perfect, assumably we have producers Quin Ivy and Marlin Greene to thank for this. Some of these early soul albums can have that "thrown together" sound as singles were what really drove the recording industry at the time. Rest assured The Percy Sledge Way is one homerun after another with no break in the mood. Fellas, this one gets my seal of approval if its panties you are trying to remove, or maybe just a heart in need of melting. PS is relentless in his romantic delivery, as is the band.
This was ripped from my excellent condition LP. This original mono Atlantic has the faint hint of analog-ness, not enough to distract your listening, but enough to remind you of the vinyl goodness that it's paired with. I won't remove noise at the cost of the music. Frankly this rip is in keeping with most of the digitally sourced material we have been listening to here at Chitlins. Ripped at 24/44.1 wav and dithered to 16/44.1 FLAC... enjoy!!


5 comments:
https://rapidshare.com/files/510625434/PS-TPSW.rar
In whatever format, vinyl or digital, please just keep blogging. There really is no other blog that explores this music and provides the amount of information on the artist and history of the music as this one does. Much thanks to you and all of the other collaborators for the ongoing effort.
Hey Feilimid, no sweat but don't forget I am on the same traincar as you. KC, preslives and Gus are worlds more knowledgable than I. Gus deserves authoring priveleges here much more than I do. I often consult with KC about what I will post, although I have found my footing as time has gone on.
I will simply throw in a title here or there, generally on the back of KCs foundation. I also elected to tackle some of the less glorious sides. Although amazing, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley simply don't evoke excitement. The Clifton Chenier was all my baby however.
Anyhow, I am wondering how many people already have this album. I'm guessing most of the frequent followers do, but there's still about 35 - 40 people who DL from here silently. That's why its important to cover everything in the gambut, even the obvious artists like Chuck Berry.
This Percy Sledge side is a jewel in my collection, I just love it to death. I usually leave it up front and visible in my LP rack, gives me a nice warm feeling just seeing the cover. You have any albums like that? Lou Donaldson Blues Walk is another for me...
Hi Poppa C - I do already have a copy of this as a D/L and agree it's a class album - Re the knowledge I'd swap my experience for your youth !! I enjoy all perspectives here and we're slowly building a community of Blues/R&B/Soul fanatics - I think some of the silent ones are just shy or feel unqualified to comment - I say just do it and welcome aboard !
Cheers
Re the old vinyl/CD arguements/opinions - I was a vinyl collector for years and was reluctant to go over to digital at first - Then I started to get too many bad pressings and brand new records would have clicks etc - I'm someone who doesn't like the splutter of vinyl at all - So when I did go over I loved this upgrade = CDs have their weaknesses but they are not as bad as the vinyl freaks make out - MP3 and Flac - Yeah I prefer lossless but I've experimented with my ears as guides rather that the tech details and admit i often can't hear any difference - MP3s do enable smaller files and therefore remain more portable ( their strongest asset) - Re vinyl - I always wanted to try out Click-Repair - it sounds like an ideal tool for transferring to digital without messing with the overall sound too much - But hey what do I know ?
Cheers
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.