Saturday, December 29, 2012

Percy Mayfield - The Specialty Years

I am pretty much forced to move these forward when I refresh the links just to get enough action on them to make it worth the trouble.

 It has taken me quite awhile to assemble this piece as the information that is out there is sparse, often contradictory, and just as often outright wrong. The most common errors that I've found were elements of the story out of place on the actual discography timeline and thus conclusions are drawn that prove false when the actual sequence of events is considered. Even the liner notes to both of these releases had glaring errors. I have resolved the elements as much as I can against the timeline from the Blues Discography and articles sourced from Minden, LA, but I have been forced to speculate in several areas where more detailed information is needed. Personal memoirs from both Mayfield and Rupe would go a long way to making it possible to tell this story properly.

Percy Mayfield (August 12, 1920 – August 11, 1984) Mayfield was born in Minden, the seat of Webster Parish in northwestern Louisiana.

Mayfield grew up in the piney forest area of northwest Louisiana near Shreveport. He must have had exceptional gifts from the start because here was a young black man in the 1930's, in an area not known for it's progressive views on race, who is actually recognized as having genuine poetry writing talent and so is encouraged to become a professional songwriter.

Songwriting usually leads to singing as it is awfully hard to sell someone on a song until they hear it, so after high school Percy heads to Houston to start a music career whilst taking odd jobs to keep food in his stomach and a roof over his head. Like many a southern black man during the war years he finds his way to Los Angeles for work in 1942, continuing to take odd jobs while gigging with what ever band he could while also trying to shop his songs to whomever would listen.

During this era of balancing day jobs and music, Mayfield manages to get 4 sides cut up in Oakland at Gru-V-Tone in 1947 (publishing date is 48, likely recorded in 47) including the powerful "Two Years of Torture". It is likely that it is with that record in hand as a demo that he approaches Supreme Records about using the song as a vehicle for Jimmy Witherspoon. The deciders at Supreme like Percy's demo enough that they have him record the song instead, it is released in 1949. It is at that Supreme session that Mayfield begins a fruitful relationship with saxophone player and arranger Maxwell Davis, the architect of the West Coast Blues sound.

'Torture' sells consistently in southern markets for an extended period of time thus attracting the attention of Art Rupe of Specialty Records who signs Mayfield in 1950, reuniting him in the studio with Maxwell Davis. Rupe releases "Please Send Me Someone To Love" in the fall of 1950 to explosive success. The personal and social lament captures the conscious of Korean War America, reaching number 1 on the R&B charts. That same session produced "Strange Things Happening", "Life Is Suicide", and "Praying for Your Return". Two more sessions before the close of 1950 produce 5 more singles (out of 8 possible!) and in early 1951 "Two Years of Torture" is leased and re-released on both Swing Time and King, doing even better this time as it rides the coattails of the first Specialty releases. Percy is on his way at the relatively late age of 29.


Although his vocal style was certainly influenced by Charles Brown, Cecil Gant and the other L.A. Club Blues singers, Mayfield never pursued the white market, much like Bobby Bland he seemed content to be an R&B success. Percy remained true to his bleak fatalist songs and the keen intelligence and penetrating insight of his lyrics. His languid baritone was perfectly suited to his writing but he could perk it up and give some Nat Cole swing to a more up-beat song when it was needed.

Mayfield likely spent the rest of 1950 and the first half of 1951 touring the bars and theaters of the chitlin circuit in support of his opening salvo at Specialty. He quickly became a major female draw with his tortured, emotional songs and matinee idol good looks. Personal appearances were heavily attended by dewy-eyed young ladies but the working parents dug him too. Within the 'race market' Percy is the new, younger, deeper alternative to Wynonie Harris as a chick magnet.
The caption here is even in error as the song mentioned was recorded in 1954

In July of 1951 Rupe finally gets Mayfield and Davis back into the studio for a double session which produces 5 new singles: "Cry Baby", "Nappin' the Nickles (Hopeless)", "I Dare You Baby", the magnificent "Lost Mind" and "How Deep is the Well". One must assume that another torrid round of promotion and touring follows because Mayfield does not return to the studio until January of 1952, but then the magic continues  with "The Hunt is On", "The Big Question", "My Heart" and "The River's Invitation". A March 1952 session adds "Lonesome Highway", "Wasted Dream", and a subtle indicator that the pace may be getting to Percy with his wistful remembrance of home in "Louisiana".

Throughout 1952 Mayfield is riding high, each new single release adds to his success and popularity, every release is his own song so he is getting the big money too and now other artists are beginning to cover his songs, thus fulfilling his original dream of being a successful songwriter and providing an independent stream of income. The future is so bright he must need shades; he even has a successful European tour, he is relatively young, still pretty, and he is getting rich, and then....

In September of 1952 Percy is involved in a horrific auto accident while returning home to L.A. after a show in Las Vegas. Mayfield is critically injured, his face disfigured and his skull cracked and mashed out of shape. Miraculously he lives without brain injury or even much noticeable effect on his singing or diction. Most sources refer here to a long (he may have been unconscious as much as a month) period of recuperation which is certainly what one would expect after so horrible a trauma. (Reports that Mayfield returned to Minden, Louisiana during this period are incorrect.) The period of recuperation, however, is no where near what one would expect  and somehow Mayfield is back in the studio within 5 months of the accident; still penning phenomenal tunes and sounding essentially the same vocally as before the accident, perhaps a scosh deeper in tone.


One of the tracks laid down in that first session back clearly speaks to the trauma of his accident and recovery, his immortal "Memory Pain". A second session follows in April of 1953 with 3 more singles including 'Get Way Back', 'Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye', 'Advice (for Men Only)' and a second version of 'Memory Pain'.

Understandably Mayfield was reluctant to tour or do promotional appearances, the psychological damage of his disfigurement had to be every bit as devastating as the physical damage, particularly given the previous circumstances of his life, but I have yet to read a single author who even discusses it! It is generally stated that his subsequent touring was drastically curtailed after the accident, but we will see that even that is not entirely true either.


Somehow by September of 1953, one year after the accident, Percy found the courage to agree to a short tour in support of the records, culminating in a holiday show in Los Angeles. One can only guess what sort of toll it must have cost the once matinee idol handsome man, his face now mashed and twisted nearly Quasimodo like, to appear in public and sing each night. The strength and courage it must have taken is unimaginable.

In 1954 Mayfield enters the last 17 months of his Specialty contract, at least to some point at odds
Perrcy and the Maytones
with owner Art Rupe and his business model for how the industry works. Percy keeps what would seem to most of us a busy schedule of appearances from Texas to L.A. and up the West Coast but admittedly nothing near the schedule of before the accident. Rupe only sent him into the studio two more times and the last six months of the contract elapse without a session. Rupe is reportedly beginning to lose interest in the record industry around this time, and has some pressures of his own that are leading to some poor choices. (It was around the same time that he fired Sam Cooke and Bumps Blackwell abruptly and allowed them to leave with what turned out to be Sam's first secular hits) For his own part Percy is clearly depressed and drinking heavily, so his behavior may well have become erratic.

The March 1954 session is uncommonly sparse for Percy but it yields an incongruous duet with Joy Hamilton called "Sugar Mama, Peachy Papa" that is somewhat bizarre, and the eerie and magnificent "You Don't Exist No More". The final October session produces "You Were Lying To Me", "My Heart Is Crying", "Baby Your Rich" and his final Specialty triumph, "The Voice Within". Mayfield's contract expires in May of 1955 with no additional recordings.

Given the paucity of decent songwriting talent in relation to the swelling number of artists in the mid-50's it is hard to fathom how it did not occur to Rupe to retain Mayfield in some sort of in-house role. Perhaps the personal relationship had become too complicated by this time. The two maintain a correspondence, at least in part around the mailing of royalty checks and periodically Mayfield sends Rupe new songs that he allows the singer to record in hopes of generating some new money or landing a new contract. 1 and 2 track sessions show up later in the discography in 1956, 57 and 60.

Once he is contractually free in May of 1955, Mayfield shops himself around for a new label and makes a somewhat puzzling choice in Chess Records; puzzling both from his point of view and the label's since Chess had demonstrated no ability whatsoever to deal with anything other than their own style of Chicago Blues. Their only success in the Club Blues area was Lowell Fulson whose success was predicated on staying away from Leonard Chess and Willie Dixon and literally mailing in his finished sessions from Los Angeles. Percy likely only considered the financial aspects at the time. It isn't clear exactly how many sides he laid down for Chess, but only one 45 'Are You Out There/Double Dealing' gets released and the year-long contract expired with nothing more to show.


Through the remainder of the 50's Mayfield gradually slips further and further into obscurity, punctuated by the occasional unsuccessful singles coming out on various independents like Cash and Imperial. It is during this time (circa 1955) that he finally acts on the wistful longing for home expressed in  1952's 'Louisiana' and he builds himself a house repleat with home studio in Minden. Sadly the return to his roots doesn't go so well, old friends and family don't warm up to the long absent, returning native son and neither does the local constabulary. Mayfield is unhappy in Minden, he is busted on pot charges and otherwise harassed. Around this time (1959) that Percy pens a heartbreaking letter to Rupe begging both financial help and help with getting a recording session because he is "too ugly to tour". Rupe sends Percy some money and arranges a session even though he is nearly through with the business and is busy becoming an oil man. Mayfield eventually moves back to Los Angeles in early 1961 bearing at least two important souvenirs of his failed attempt to go home...'Stranger In My Home Town' and  'Hit The Road Jack', a song that would jump start his life and his career.


34 comments:

RickB said...

Hi KC, are the links here? Thanks!!

the doc said...

I couldn't find any either

Larry said...

If it's not asking too much.......

Please send me somewhere to link.......

Thanks

enoch said...

nice write up...Thanks.


enoch

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Although the links are missing on this entry, I am writing to express my thanks for all of the great music you post and the information you include. This blog is a musical education in so many ways and I suspect it takes up quite a bit of your time. Thanks again.

Preslives said...

That is a fantastic essay, KC. Thanks! I have saved it in my music archive.

Percy Mayfield was certainly one of a kind. He sang at Eli's sometimes, although I never saw him there. I did see him once at Larry Blake's in Berkeley, and that was unforgettable.

There is actually a second CD released by Fantasy for his Specialty sides called "Memory Pain." I believe that it includes everything on the Route 66 LP and more.

KingCake said...

Why thank you Enoch, I'm a bit proud of it myself.

Preslives said...

...that is to say all of the Specialty sides on the Route 66 LP. Chronological Classics released a CD of Percy Mayfield that has all the pre-Specialty sides.

KingCake said...

I've got the Tangerine and RCA sides so have at the rest Pres. Killer that you saw him at Blake's - another place I did not go to nearly often enough, I was consumed with Jazz and getting laid back then, sigh.....

KingCake said...

Okay - I was going to wait longer but I am not really made that way so I have to acknowledge the slightly dirty trick of deliberately withholding the links on this post. The truth is I am a little bit miffed by the lack of participation in relation to the escalating downloads. The fact is I DO work relatively hard at this most of the time --- there are posts that I totally mail it in on, I have to acknowledge,but largely I do put more time into this place than anything I've done previously. Before anyone starts throwing out belated and forced thanks let me save you the waste of time and say say what I have always hoped for is more actual feedback and discussion from those of you who actually understand that you are supposed to LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

The truth is I don't give a shit about thank you's and if the comment level were ever to even make 10% relative to downloads I would be more than ecstatic, I would be overwhelmed. The current level is in the .5 to 2% range and more than half of that is the authors themselves. Of what remains 90% is roughly 5 or 6 people yet every post eventually has around 100 downloads.

WHO ARE YOU GUYS?

Preslives said...

KC - Yea, seeing Percy Mayfield at Blake's was almost as nice as getting laid listening to jazz...almost. :)

GuitarGus said...

Yes KC a very well researched essay - I'm impressed even more than previously
I knew you would soften your attitude with time although I fully appreciate the disappointment with the lack of feedback/comments - Hope some of you silent guys will join us with your views whatever they might be
By the way KC i have these PM albums (one on CD the R66 on mint vinyl ) I also have 'Memory Pain'(Vol 2 of the Speciality sides - with his demo of Hit The Road Jack as an extra) I also have 'Walking On A Tightrope'a first CD re-issue of his Brunswick album made in 1969 I believe ( on a small UK independent label : Acadia)
Let me know if you want copies of these by email and I'll happily oblige
Cheers

Feilimid O'Broin said...

For those of us who aren't musicians and aren't musically literate, short of saying thanks for posting all that you post and writing all that
you write, what can we write without embarrassing ourselves given the knowledgeable and insightful comments of those who already know the music and artists? If you don't give a sh*t about thanks for the exposure to so much of what was unknown to us, I'm confused as to what you do want. I can only write that this is one of the best, if not the best, blogs for soul and blues, and leave it at that.

GuitarGus said...

I Think anything above and beyond a mere thanks is all that's desirable - There's no snobs here we'
re all just fans and music lunatics -

Goofy said...

I can understand what you write about feedback etc. I have always been a big soul fan. It has been hard in the past - I live in North Europe. I'm not a musician, so I cannot write about music the way you - KC and your "crew" - can without, as Feilimid writes, embarrassing myself.
I listen to jazz, soul, blues and world music for the soul of it. Your blogs are my favourite haunts in the blogosphere. I have found many new artists thanks to your efforts. Last new favourite found here is Charles Walker.
Anyway, thanks for a fantastic write-up!

LAZZ said...

I have only seen pictures before of when he was really pretty - heard he shied away from being photographed after the accident. Quite compelling to see the marks of damage to that face. Without meaning to be creepy about it, it feels kinda precious and special being able to see it. So thanks for the attempt to share Mayfield, I enjoyed learning more as always.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Thank you, Goofy. I discovered this blog through the Crypt's jazz blog from which I learned so much about the music I love. As a result of the postings on this blog, I am listening to gospel music which I as a native Bostonian who is not religious usually avoid like a plague. Other than Black lady Mambazo's gospel and the movie Say Amen, Somebody, I have had little appreciation for the genre until this blog. Similarly, this blog has allowed me to listen to singers from New Orleans and the deep South whom I wish I had heard years ago so I could have seen them live and appreciate them while they were still with us. But when it comes to writing about music, I have to defer to Bob Marley, who knows it feels it and one good thing about music when it hits you feel no pain. This and the other blogs that Mr. K. C.and his colleagues have created consistently leave me "painless" but I have no vocabulary to express more specifically the deep emotions I feel viscerally when I listen to James Booker, Robert Nighthawk, and all of the other great artists featured on these blogs.

KingCake said...

To all of you who express concerns about what you may or may not know, I am only asking "How does it impact you?" Do you 'Get' this guy or not? I am trying to give you some information about botgh the artist and the environment when I can.
As I said before - most of you have no one in your life whom you can carry on intelligent conversation about this stuff. Why not us?

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Point taken, but I do discuss the music with my daughters who have no opportunity to hear it on the radio or know the history. I now have a twenty-one year old who loves jazz and this music and regularly discusses it with anyone who will listen. It is so important that it not be confined to the dustbin of music history. These folks worked and sweated to make a living singing and playing this stuff and it gets almost no airplay even in the twosouthern states in which I have lived for the past twenty four years. This and the other blogs become my de facto radio stations so I can expose my two daughters to the music I consider so important.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Just so you know, I wrote about your blogs and e-mailed your write-up on James Booker to all of my friends because they and I find it incredulous that a man could live such a blighted life with so many handicaps and produce such great music. Your writing was so good in exploring that irony. Prior to your blogs, I had read about Booker but not heard him or, for that matter, much other music from New Orleans. Back home zydeco and Cajun were much more popular on the FM and college stations than rhythm and blues and other than mainstream blues acts.

KingCake said...

Some valid points, as to what I'm looking for I guess it would be do you like this guy? This style work for you or do you prefer something else - do you see or hear connections between different singer? I'm trying to point these things out but fresh ears sometimes hear something that I did not. also fine to ask questions or wonder if there is someone else like ____ whom we haven't heard yet - there are no dumb questions and no judgements - you kind of have the opportunity to sit in a classroom with a number of guys with a pretty fair store of knowledge to share -- hell I'm doubling my own knowledge about this stuff weekly since I began the project and I find it exhilarating. I've taught in my life and I know that when you get people involved in a learning journey they will inevitably teach YOU something too

Feilimid O'Broin said...

The lack of links forced me to search elsewhere for information about Mayfield's music which I had not heard much before. There is an urban sophistication and polish to his sound that I imagine must have made him seem irrevocably changed and even foreign to the hometown folks when he tried to return. Sadly he discovered that you can't go home again because you and the place to which you have returned have changed so much in the intervening period. Having live in north central Texas for ten years and becoming familiar with Mayfield's home area, I know firsthand that the residents are not know for their tolerance or willingness to accept change. Too bad Janis Joplin didn't take note of Mayfield's experience before returning to her high school reunion in Beaumont. In Mayfield's case, the frog seems to have outgrown the confines of the pond. I hope if folks as unlearned as I am in writing about music bother to write and comment on your other postings that you re-consider providing the links to Mayfield's music. To me, after a day of listening, he can hold his own with Bobby Blue Bland and Ray Charles during the same period although he may not have had the same breadth of talent or been as well known. To hear the music and then re-read your write-up left me haunted by what might have been had his music been re-discovered while he was alive. The sorrow that permeates his songwriting is so visceral and leaves me wishing I had a musician's vocabulary to aptly describe what I am hearing and why it makes me react so strongly. Hooker was so wrong; it serves no one right to suffer but the suffering occasionally provides an impetus for some great music. Lastly, I disagree with GuitarGus in the Shutterbox. It is not so easy to write about what one feels intrinsically and lacks the vocabulary or education to express, there is the risk of embarrassing oneself or seeming mawkish or simplistic but your comments above have made me realize that saying thanks isn't sufficient. The artist's work deserves comment for how it makes us feel and you, too, deserve to know our reaction because of the considerable effort you and the other contributors have expended to make the music available and educate us. For example, I am a much more sophisticated and knowledgeable jazz listener because of the Cryot, yet the truth is the more I read and learn the more I realize how ignorant I am and how much more there is to learn. I am sp grateful men like Mayfield and women were so committed to expressing the music within them that they did not let lack of success or opportunity in a profoundly racist society wear then down to the extent that they were silent. Your point above is well taken, this blog is a musical Smithsonian and you and the other curators need to what we think about the exhibits even if we fumble for the words as I am doing now.

KingCake said...

Beautiful, Thanks so much for taking the time and I hope that you have since picked up on the links now provided - Percy is very special - fortunately there will be another chapter or two to his story as far as the music is concerned but the information about him get's even thinner from here on - I checked in Gilllete, Guralnick and Shaw and they all have nothing

GuitarGus said...

HI Feilimid

What I meant is that it is easy to post any kind of comment ie type/hit a button just to clear the point - I realise it's not easy to express our feelings in response to listening to music but don't let that put you off - I really enjoyed your comments above and hope you stick around and give us more - The mere fact of appreciating this music is all you need
Cheers

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I understood your comment but it is a bit daunting to try to express what one feels about the music when writing to folks who are so knowledgeable. I decided to get off my metaphorical butt and write because I don't want frustration at the silence of us onlookers to end the blog. The blog is too valuable a resource and I hope others plunge in as well and risk embarrassing themselves to express why the music hits and affects them as it does me. Each time I access the blog and read about and then listen to the music of an Esquerita, Big Maybelle, and Percy Mayfield my life is enriched because music is that important to me. So I fumble around to try to accurately convey what the music means to me and hope that all of the verbiage does not conceal the wonder and amazement I feel about discovering the riches presented here. Maybe reading my rambling diatribes will provoke others to respond.

beetee said...

well im gonna say thanks to you Kingcake for this great site (even if he doesnt want to hear it}
I agree with feilimid that it is hard to give too much feed back on most of your posts because they are so full of info that i never knew.

as to all the people who are downloading without participating in discussions here-- its always the case that a small core of people get involved and the rest take but dont give back. So unfortunately it goes with the territory.
I can assure you that i listen to everything i download here and whether i put it on my heavy rotation play list or not its always an experience i would not have without your hard work and knowledge. so keep up the good work. Many more people than you know are benefiting from it

KingCake said...

Poet
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7VRGG0IGLZ
Memory Pain
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7IDGWVGWMW

rivercityslim said...

I was hipped to this site last week by my brother-in-law who is a Jazz keyboard player from NYC. Hadn't really thought about commenting; I was just in awe at the selection of things that had been posted previously and downloaded a few. All of this R&B/Soul stuff is right up my alley. I have some of this Percy Mayfield material already, but I'll be checking out the rest of it. Thanks.

wouter said...

i do have these great albums, they are percy's motherlode in my opinion. if you don't know these, you're in for a treat!

pmac said...

First really exposed to Percy, via Johnny Adams, and the great album he did for Rounder of Percy Mayfield covers: Walking on a Tightrope. One of the few times I can say that someone outdid Johnny. As good as Adams' album is, the source material is impeccable. Just wish there were some contemporary artists that would follow a similar vein to Percy, and the others that King has posted.

pmac said...

And King, I'm sorry for not commenting earlier. I frequent this site, but my posts are few and far between. Will rectify that in the coming year. Your dead on - we need to take advantage of the opportunity to discuss these recordings with like minded folks.

LAZZ said...

This is a beautiful thing - to re-post all these jewels of music history. Great to have a clearer shot at the man's own life and context, thanks to your research and the time and trouble to share the story. It moves me. The music and you.

Jazzjet said...

This is a real voyage of discovery for me. I knew the name and the influence but hardly caught much of the actual music, so this is an education. Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello King -
Just a question - I know that Johnny Adams, in particular, covered more than a few of Percy Mayfield's works. I was just thinking - and think I know the answer but would rather ask - did they ever work live together?
As always - thanks for all the work put into your blogs
G

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.