Saturday, December 29, 2012

Percy Mayfield - Walking On A Tightrope

 Percy Mayfield ‎– Walking On A Tightrope 

Brunswick – BL 754145
Released: 1969, Rhythm & Blues

A1 Walking On A Tightrope        
A2 I Made It Just The Same        
A3 My Pain Is Here To Stay        
A4 Alma Lee        
A5 Please Send Me Someone To Love        
B1 P.M. Blues        
B2 My Mind Is Trying To Leave Me        
B3 Danger Zone        
B4 'Sho Gonna Leave You Alone        
B5 My Baby's Gone        
B6 To Me Your Name Is Love

This one is brought to you by Guitar Gus and it slots right in behind the Tangerine sides but before the RCA sides. It is, of course, absolutely killer, I would be a bit shocked if I were ever to hear ANY Percy that was anything less by this point. I have heard the late live recordings and they too are the bomb. I feel pretty safe in saying that he never made a clunker.

On the new songs here you get the definite impression that Percy has become obsessed with potential insanity and drinking as they now occupy equal space with women and heartbreak as song themes. I am not sure who all is playing with Mayfield but from the sound of things it was a top-notch ensemble.

For this re-post I am also including a link with some of the bit's and pieces from before and after the Specialty sides; a couple from Supreme, one from Chess and the others from Cash.

5 comments:

the doc said...

This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire.

Anonymous said...

Thanks KingCake and GuitarGus! Was introduced to the 50's sides and Tangerines a few years ago. Now really looking forward to checking out another phase with this and the RCA album.

KingCake said...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?chy9q6tdr957fv1

Newk said...

I know this will be a pain in the ass, but is there any possibility of re-posting this and the other Percy's? I totally slept on them. The Tangerines are of course the toughest to track down. Reading the write-ups you did on his work plus his lyrics almost inspire one to write some sort of novel.

KingCake said...

Tightrope
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1BORFZROUB
bits and pieces
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9KATDXMBSZ

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.