Eventually I came up around 2 short of a "full deck" until a friend pointed out that just because guys like Earl King, Johnny Adams, Lee Dorsey, Eddie Bo and Ernie K-Doe were "mainstream" to us here, that didn't mean that the rest of the world felt that way. Now I feel bad I couldn't fit them all in.
Friday, August 29, 2014
10 More Lost N.O. Soul Heroes
Whew! Trying to come up with a follow-up to the first run on this theme
was more difficult than I had imagined -- I didn't want to reach back to
the R&B era nor did I want to tread too far into the Funk era and
thus detract from my available choices on future mixes that I have
planned. I also wished to stay with the more obscure guys that hadn't
received much coverage in this modern age where worldwide interest in
our musical history has grown considerably. My first volume had been
constructed with no concern for a second volume and so I had skimmed the
cream (IMO) and left a tough road for this mix. I wanted to follow the
same format too, so there had to be at least 3 useable tunes.
Eventually I came up around 2 short of a "full deck" until a friend pointed out that just because guys like Earl King, Johnny Adams, Lee Dorsey, Eddie Bo and Ernie K-Doe were "mainstream" to us here, that didn't mean that the rest of the world felt that way. Now I feel bad I couldn't fit them all in.
Eventually I came up around 2 short of a "full deck" until a friend pointed out that just because guys like Earl King, Johnny Adams, Lee Dorsey, Eddie Bo and Ernie K-Doe were "mainstream" to us here, that didn't mean that the rest of the world felt that way. Now I feel bad I couldn't fit them all in.
11 comments:
Thank You. Great collection!!
Hopefully, through your efforts, what was once "lost" will now be found and cherished. Nice one, KC.
Thanks For The New Mix, Thanks For Opening My Ears To The Great Music Of New Orleans!!!!! You The Man King!!!!!
Perfect.
Supreme.
Merci, merci, merci.
whoaa - any chance 4 a link? merci de beaucoup!
Great follow-up, love it! Thanks KC.
I second my fellow anonymous in pleading for a link as well? Thanks. This site is Hall of Fame-worthy.
Thank You Kingcake, You our the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COOL - gonna let 'em sink to my bones this weekend!! thanx
Thanks for Upload!!
One, as I mentioned in another post - my computer lost this post for a bit but it's back - one of the things I have enjoyed from the git go in and on your sites is the information you pass along - and the way you turn a phrase - like in this lesson - you point out that "just because guys like Earl King, Johnny Adams, Lee Dorsey, Eddie Bo and Ernie K-Doe were "mainstream" to us here" - - and I stop and think of the talen you mentioned in 5 names - and note that 2 of them - Bo and King are icons, at least to me, in my music listening.....Lee Dorsey - you listen to, let's pick Sneakin' Sally and you're hooked for life....ask Aaron Neville about Johnny Adams and everybody has heard K-Doe sing somewhere in their lives - - you listen to just 5 names you could have heard any night of the week on a stroll in and out of some places where one might find an adult beverage and that sentence with those 5 names indicates to the rest of us - those famous words - that there "Ain't No City Like New Orleans" (and just add another star to Earl "Trick Bag" or is it Earl " Big Chief" King. Many many thanks and please keep sharing this music
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.