Thursday, August 14, 2014

Serve Somebody - A Personal Look At Smelly Bob

Oneof those things that started with one idea and morphed to something else whilst retaining most of the original concept - I am pleased with it - what do y'all Think? (there won't be any links until folks begin to push Play and then comment.


11 comments:

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Great listening to begin the morning or finish the night; I haven't figured out which one I'm doing yet. Sam Cooke thought an African-American should have written "Blowin' In The Wind" and wrote "A Change Is Going To Come" to emphasize the point, so I can't dispute the Minnesota lad's talent for songwriting that can cross genres well before he discovered the Gospels and served somebody. Thanks so much for including Nina Simone; one of my favorites and Ms. Marva, James Govan, Howard Tate, Solomon Burke, Bettye Lavette the Staple Singers, O. V. Wright, Shirley Caesar, Cassandra Wilson, Cyril Neville ... the great names go on as irrefutable evidence that someone answered heaven's door when you knocked and requested permission to put this one together. But damned, I mean hot damn', if you didn't also include the Cool Ruler, my favorite reggae singer after Marley, Gregory Isaacs performing "Mr. Tambourine Man". Can this be downloaded? It's definitely a keeper and I'd enjoy greatly having it for the car.

Feilimid O'Broin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Feilimid O'Broin said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that J. P. Robinson's rendition of "George Jackson" is incredible and a genuine revelation. As much as I like Dylan, I think Robinson's version is the way the song should have been performed originally. And there's nothing shabby about Howard Tate's version of "Girl From The North Country." Many, many thanks for this one.

Anonymous said...

This is nice way to start my day, love hearing singings takes on Mr Dylan

LAZZ said...

Fuck me gently, this is tasty.

Anonymous said...

Can this be downloaded? It's definitely a keeper and I'd enjoy greatly having it for the car.

pmac said...

Nice compilation. Definietly more entertaining than listening to the original versions.

Steve626 said...

This is really, really nice. As much as I like Bob's version, these are much tastier. Great job!

crispycritter said...

Fantastic mx, a perfect end with the O.V. Wright!

Anonymous said...

thanx 4 the link man - to me all along the watchtower by jimi is probably the best song EVER

Progress Hornsby said...

KingCake, thank you for this better than perfect compilation. Solomon Burke's joyful "Mighty Quinn" has made my day(s).

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.