Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Weekend at The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 1976

There are two rather rare albums made from performances at the 1976 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival - I have pulled them apart and recombined them to simulate an utterly EPIC day at Jazz Fest. This one is an aural landscape with short bits of silence to simulate those moments of zen in the porta-potties; it's really meant to be experienced as a whole...an almost 2 hour journey in the Wayback Machine to a time when Jazz Fest was just about the coolest happ'nin on the planet.

Now with link.

9 comments:

pmac said...

Ah, Jazz Fest when the New Orleans part of it really meant something.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I really enjoy these Mixcloud compilations. Is there any way to get a link for the ones that don't have links in the blog. They are so well conceived and the music is so terrific that I'd like to burn them for my collection.

As the year ends, I want to thank you, Unky Cliff, and all the other collaborators and contributors for providing a really great year of music and the enjoyable comments that so many have made. I still learn so much through this blog and its cousins. Best of all as the year ends and my youngest, who is in her second year of college, spends a few weeks at home between semesters, I have learned that her music taste has changed drastically from enjoying the worst of commercial pop and hip-hop in prior years to enjoying reggae, soul, blues, jazz, and, to use a generic phrase that I dislike, world music. She was listening to a music service last night that played music to which I would and do listen, and I asked when and how such a momentous change occurred. I attribute the transformation to her study of liberal arts and friendships with students from other countries and other regions of this country rather than my feeble attempts at indoctrination over the years. It doesn't matter; she finally came around and has apparently absorbed the music I have played over the years and I can leave the planet in the future immensely satisfied with the knowledge that the two youngest of my three daughters have great taste and truly appreciate a number of genres. What more could a father ask for Christmas?

Naturally I played her the Le Roi Noel mixes in an effort to keep the momentum towards enlightenment apace. If I have taught my young 'uns nothing else, I have taught them that music matters greatly and enriches their lives. This blog and the effort you expend is testament to that and you have reaffirmed my belief that New Orleans is the true music capital of the world. I read your and pmac's in the Chatbox comments with envy that you have so much that is readily accessible to you in this country's only Caribbean city and, too, with great appreciation for the ensuing discussions about the artists you see. The discussions allow me to vicariously attend New Orleans' many festivals and concerts in my most delusional of minds.

Let's be honest if not for this blog, I might of spent the rest of my life not having heard Marva and that would have been a irreparable tragedy. In addition, I would not have all the E-books that a certain blues-loving guitarist from the British Isles sent for my newly acquired Kindle in response to my request for a few titles that might enhance my appreciation of and knowledge about what I find here. I also would not have the wonderful recording of a certain British emigre in Vancouver or the awareness that Unky Cliff shared my appreciation for a song that so succinctly and powerfully expressed Wilson Pickett's attitude towards women and "love". And I certainly wouldn't be listening to gospel or looking forward to more of it every Sunday morning. Such are the small moments of serendipity and ecstasy that make life so worthwhile now that I am out of the daily grind of the workaday world and have time to truly savor everything. I am still bowled over by and enjoying immensely the Sounds of the City collection and its relatives from Poppachubby's wonderful blog.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I hope that you continue to weather the moments of frustration with the frequent paucity of comments and continue posting what you have and like so much because it provides such joy to me and I am sure many others even if we don't always take or have the time or words to acknowledge it. My two additional three and four terrabyte hard drives serve as compliant witnesses to the volume of musical gifts that this blog, it's cousins, and Grumpy's, Porc Rouge's, and Peer's blogs have provided. May the new year allow you all to bring us more of the same. Have safe travels, enjoy the holidays and family, and, above all resolve to continue making the world a wee bit better through music. It makes such a difference.

fcapeau said...

Great New Orleans sound !! many thanks, KC.

KingCake said...

Have no fear Feilemed, I will send you a link once I get home and do an upload - however, this will play better off of mixcloud until I do some editing on the actual files

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays and thanks to you for this and all such wonderesness!

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2KYLRHAQI0

LAZZ said...


Just what I had been hoping for.
And just exactly what I wanted for Christmas.
Thanks for the beautifully sculpted soundscape for all of us otherwise deprived of the potency of your home-grown local Yat vibration celebration.
Perfect.

Hasse said...

Links are not working???

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.