Snooks @ Storyland,
Snooks
was a musical force of nature - his wondrous brain contained 1000's of
songs that he could play at a moment's notice, each in an entirely
unique Snookified version. At some point EVERY night you found yourself
mentally saying "this may be the most amazing guitar player I've ever
seen". Even though they were very different people, the blinding talent
(unintentional joke) was similar to James Booker.
9 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1HEAGEF4ZH
As much as I love Snooks' Black Top recordings (including his Live at Japan lp), this recording is waay better. Many thanks KC! Way to brighten up a stormy Saturday.
I love Snooks.
His was a huge influence over the neophyte bloozniks of my acquaintance in the UK.
We were all very taken by the mistaken Oster image of a rural backwoods Eaglin, it seemed that each measured themselves against the Snooks version of "High Society". Like a rite of passage. Brit plectrists like Townsend and Clapton studied It and learned it. They all did. They had to be able to pull off a decently adequate competent emulation in order to be taken seriously by their peers. He held some special illusory acoustic-only folkloric status, I remember. With authenticity enhanced by his disability. We knew absolutely zip about the real Snooks unleashed. With a band. In a club. Tearing up.
Disappointed to have lost the chance to meet him and hear him in person.
This is great.
Thank you, thank you for this, the Johnny and the Earl King. If you've got any of Snooks during the 'OZ fundraisers...?
Snooks was GREAT live, simply amazing. I saw him so many times at Tip's and the Rock and Bowl. Acoustic Snooks? Sure-he'd turn up at WWOZ during the pledge drives on Billy Delle's show. And TAKE REQUESTS when you made a pledge. The greatest moment of these? When he backed up Irma Thomas during the fund drive! I was driving back into New Orleans from points west, desperately trying to call someone to tape it for me...I failed.
Great tracksin this post. many thanks, KC, to remind us of this amazing musician.
Great to hear Snooks in concert at home-thanks
Snooks - nothing like seeing Snooks live -and looking at the picture you posted it appears that was from a time that Mr. Porter, Jr was taking care of business on the bass. One year at Jazz Fest - I didn't see it but friends did - they caught Snook's set at The Fairgrounds - that year Snooks was part of, as somebody once called it 'the ultimate New Orleans Power Trio" - Snooks - Porter, Jr & Modeliste - you tell me what we missed! As to the mention of the fund raisers - somewhere there's a tape of Snooks on 'Oz and Porter shows up and they join to play for a pledge.
Always great to hear more Snooks. Thanks KC.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.