Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Definitive Buddy Guy

"George "Buddy" Guy (born July 30, 1936, Lettsworth, Louisiana) is an American blues guitarist and singer. Critically acclaimed, he is a pioneer of the Chicago blues sound and has served as an influence to some of the most notable musicians of his generation, including Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
In the 1960's Guy was a member of Muddy Waters' band and was a house guitarist at Chess Records. He can be heard on Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor"and Koko Taylor's "Wang Dang Doodle" as well as on his own Chess sides and the series of records he made with harmonica  player Junior Wells.
Ranked 30th in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time", Guy is known for his showmanship on stage: playing his guitar with drumsticks or strolling into the audience while playing solos. His song "Stone Crazy" was ranked 78th in Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time." (Wikipedia)

'Definitive' may be a bit over- the- top in it's claim, but generally this is a good single CD compilation of Buddy Guy's material between 1958 and 2001 even for a seasoned collector ( and 'Stone Crazy' is included here !) . It contains most of his best and better known 60's efforts and is a pleasing mix of new and old, studio and live. Full musician credits etc are shown in the scans provided.
 His later Silvertone recordings like 'Damn Right I Have The Blues' are excellent and are selling well - If there is a demand I shall post one/some...
In the Blues spectrum Buddy is at the extremity, his vocals and particularly his guitar are intense and wailing but always heartfelt and authentic. Once heard or seen - never forgotten- Enjoy   .


5 comments:

GuitarGus said...

Get It Here :

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/80571193/file.html

Or Here :

https://mega.co.nz/#!CBcAka7Y!CSW5Emf0QhlIkEeoyVqI8mMbxiwTp1NvPjU3ENtn4Fk

KingCake said...

Thanks Gus - Unkie Cliff is going to provide the Buddy Guy Chess Box shortly

poppachubby said...

Looks great Gus, I do love Buddy Guy and that squeal he does with his voice.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Buddy Guy is one of my favorite artists and I have almost everything he recorded but continue to download what I don't have on disc in an ongoing effort to get the best available download version of his music. His ability to convey so much emotion when he sings ranging from the sheer joy of "Damn Right I've Got The Blues" to the raw world-weariness he conveys in his version of John Hiatt's "Feels Like Rain" always leaves me awestruck. Even when his guitar playing borders on rock and excess, I'll take it any day. We are so lucky that he is still with us and playing when so many of his peers have passed on. Thanks so much for posting this.

Anonymous said...

This will be a nice coda to Buddy's fun autobiography that I just finished. I saw him at the Warfield in the 90s, one of the most smokin' shows I've ever seen.
-peacenik

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.