I had to delete an angry tirade from the front of this post - I just don't want to go there anymore. Just know that I would appreciate it if we had a bit more participation around here. Around 10 good friends seem to carry the entire load and I'd love to know what more of you think.You can't have many other places where your opinions would get any intelligent consideration.
01. Minuet Boogie (2:40)
02. Zero Hours (3:13)
03. Mutiny In The Doghouse (2:29)
04. 1946 Stomp (2:53)
05. Answer To The Boogie (2:25)
06. Hollywood Boogie (2:49)
07. Mr. Freddy Blues (2:58)
08. Backroom Blues (2:49)
09. Central Avenue Drag (2:50)
10. Bottomland Boogie (3:08)
11. Pete Kay Boogie (3:03)
12. Light Out Mood (3:05)
13. Rock It Boogie (3:07)
14. Mr. Drums Meets Mr. Piano (2:46)
15. Wiley's Boogie (2:53)
16. Pete's Lonesome Blues (2:45)
17. 66 Stomp (2:47)
18. Kaycee Feeling (2:52)
19. Dive Bomber (2:59)
20. Yancy Street Boogie (2:41)
Another nice collection of Pete Johnson, this one focuses on the pianist rather than the accompanist and the sound quality is an improvement over the Classics versions. I haven't looked up each and every tune but it appears that most, if not all, of these tracks were recorded between 1946 and 1947. The 1946 material was recorded in N.Y. and the rest in L.A., many tunes feature some tasty guitar work from Jimmy Shirley in NY or Chuck Norris in LA. To my ears Johnson is more varied and interesting than either Albert Ammons or Meade Lux Lewis, the two contemporaries he is most often associated with.

18 comments:
This is likely one of the last few that I will post without a password - the passwords will only be available to active participants here - now is the chance to rehabilitate yourself with some comments about what you have downloaded here - once the passwords start you will be out of luck!
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7HVHURHHU2
Like Pete - but disagree re Albert Ammons. My ears still prefer some Albert (as long as we're excluding the likes of Fess and Booker).
First class (though I agree with pmac re Albert Ammons (ducks)).
This will be a good one. I enjoy hos work on national
though i'm only a recent discoverer of your wonderful blog (you came with high praise from another music-blog community), i'm only too grateful for the opportunity to hear the recordings you put up. whatever has caused you anger, i can only imagine. thanks for all the good work you do sharing here. i download the whole spectrum of music on here, that great continuum of gospel-blues-r&b-soul, without which most of what we enjoy as rock 'n' roll would be simply impossible. thanks. hope i get a chance to continue participating in this newly discovered treasure trove.
and as they say in latin, illegitimi non carburundum (don't let the bastards get you down) . . .
Thanks for all you do on the KCC and the rest of the blog family. I've been introduced and reintroduced to so much great music, rips of LPs I had back in college, etc. I just don't get the jerks. You do all the work, we get to enjoy your work for free and some people find reason to complain? Life's too short to be an asshole on purpose. Don't lose faith, for everyone who writes in to thank you there are hundreds who are grateful but might forget or are too busy at work, etc. And thanks again for the Terry Gibbs big band stuff. Sooo good!
I second (and third) the positive comments posted above from Larry, davidwolfsonnc, et al. I was only recently alerted to this site and I am really grateful for everything you do. As a music teacher, the uploads are truly appreciated by myself, my colleagues, and my students. I have left "thank you"s for the few things I've grabbed, specifically the Johnny Guitar Watson re-up. In short, I hope you don't let a few bad apples spoil it for those of us who appreciate everything you (and others) do here.
Thanks guys, just need to hear what folks think now and again, also it would be nice for the 10 or so guys who DO talk, not have to carry the load all the time - My point as always is that none of you can have all that many places to express opinions about this stuff where your comment would get intelligent consideration. Failing that, then the occasional thanks will suffice - the level of chat at the Crypt is fine, by the way, it is here that I feel the frustration - particularly when I see a compilation get dl'd 100 times with NO comment
looks like there is new blood coming in all the time. it would be a shame to go private imo.
thanks for your hard work.
As always, the Crypt comes through with amazing music. Your generosity with time and music is appreciated. Now let the boogie begin with Mr. Pete Johnson!
if it turns out you do go private or semi-private (with passwords), i'm a newbie but i'd love to be a part of this going forward. i have a sizable collection as well in genres of a lot of things you offer and i'd be only too happy to join in the sharing as well (on zippyshare if that works for all). please do consider this a request to be included
It's okay David, I just have to grump now and again and a few newbies chime in and start talking and then I'm content again - when I see 100 downloads of something with not a comment, it sets me off - that was the case with Soul Shots this morning and I was in no mood for it.
The thing also is that Pete Johnson rhythm command was way superior than the other pianists, what was a little disappointment for me IMHO was the Jimmy Yancey album which lacked in this department, with all due respect.
Thanks again Kingcake.
Just returned from two weeks visiting the home town and friends not seen for decades so my keys have been untapped but my accent has been renewed. I'm still downloading all that I missed while on the Cape but Johnson, O.V. Wright, Roberts, Odom, Guy, etc. in one night's listening is too much to comment on other than to note that the true joy of just listening in the small hours of the morning exceeds any descriptive words I could write by way of reaction.
Many blogs have been shut down recently by Google as it trembles in fear that the ever-vigilant NSA is looking beyond the metadata, noting all, and will no doubt find Google complicit in alleged piracy if it doesn't do its best to mindlessly extirpate all sharing so the fact that this blog keeps on keeping on is worth treasuring. So much good music in two weeks time almost makes me fearful of taking another vacation for fear of not getting it all while the getting's good. Much thanks for it all even if belatedly, but the time by the north Atlantic and away from the Net was worth it even if catching up is daunting.
This is a great one - as I've mentioned, I was familiar with some of his work but it's great to have a/the chance to hear his playing and compare it, if that's a way to put it, with the work he did, for example, with Big Joe.
As to the blog, I can't say enough good words about it - you've (this is to the King and his Cout) turned me onto wonderful music. It's been said before but it's bloggers such as yourself that keep this music alive and I hope you continue. Thanks, in any event, for giving us the chance to hear where the music we love came from - and turning us onto so many artists that have been so, can I use the term, criminally ignored in the history of the music.
Many thanks, KC, for this amazing post. A good occurence to listen to the work of Pete, of course, but too the Norris and Shirley's choruses.
The link is dead. Can you kindly repost?
Many thanks!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.