Monday, August 26, 2013

Stompin' 4

I'm staring at that back cover and the names and I'm shaking my head in wonder....now I DO know Jessie Allen because he's a New Orleans guy, but after that .... ..... yeah, I got Nothing! Who are these guys? I mean, if I was someone who didn't know squat....but really?

I've got one more of these but it appears we may be getting a bunch more from a new friend!!

9 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=62HJMDCTJC

Anonymous said...

Unkle Cliff sez: "I got Nothing! Who are these guys? I mean, if I was someone who didn't know squat....but really?" Probably because they are primarily minor blues artists from the east coast who never did more than a disc or so. A few comments. Mr. Ruffin is Riff Ruffin from CA. H Bomb Ferguson has loads of goodies out there and recorded briefly for Federal in 1960. Johnny Wright worked with Ike Turner. Eddie Riff is a Mickey Baker pseudonym. TV Slim (Oscar Wills) from Louisiana worked with Mighty Joe Young. Royal Earl (AKA Royal Bell / Texas Slim). Joe Gaines is from NOLA and worked with the Hummingbird Four and The Hawks. Wilbur Steinberg was out of Memphis with just two tracks to his name.

KingCake said...

SHOW OFF!!

Anonymous said...

Moi? Je ne suis pas un frimeur.

poppachubby said...

This looks great. KC get in touch with me about what you have coming in because I plan on ordering some of these up for us.

RickB said...

Only one I've heard of is H-Bomb Ferguson. He did some nice sides for the Savoy label and they were reissued in the 80s on Savoy. Thanks!! Love this series.

GuitarGus said...

I didn't d/l the first 3 of this series as I have many comps of a similar type ie good unknown R&B
But the comments dangled an irresistible carrot ! and now I'm a convert.... They are truly well worth a listen and good greasy gutbucket bluesness prevails ... Cheers KC ...And keep 'em comin' !

davidwolfsonnc said...

guitargus, how could you not d/l these, even with "similar" comps? I mean, you can always delete them if they're not what you need. but i think we all need comps like these. yes, i said need (i know i'm an addict and i'm proud). there are a few really great obscure r'n'b comps out there and this multi-volume series (along with SLCD's kickass series, though they are inexplicably titled, like some surreal impression of r'n'b!) are worth having, without even thinking about it. these comps rule! and smile when you say that . . .

fcapeau said...

Splendid ! Many thanks KC

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.