Saturday, August 10, 2013

Soul Shots: Volume 1, Dance Party

I know that not everyone is a huge fan of the compilations, but I would like to point out once again that most of the material presented here was released as singles and in a time where the Song rather than the Album was king. Those of you who have been stacking the compilations like Blowing The Fuse and Stompin' in your digital jukeboxes will be thrilled to add these wonderfully made Rhino sets from 1989 to that mix.

Thanks to that Uncle who shares my affliction I have the first 5 LPs for y'all; there are at least 21 volumes as far as I can tell. Some things here are well known old friends, some things are likely completely new to you, others still will be familiar but not in the version heard here. Each volume that I have heard is exceptionally well chosen and sequenced and of course the Rhino engineers did a lovely job on the sound.

btw Stompin' fans need not worry yet on that front, I still have 2 of those left and there are many more out there.

12 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9ZEWRIMGV4

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great music

RickB said...

I remember these collections from way. It will be wonderful to hear them again.

LAZZ said...

Sorry, my dear chap, I downloaded this as soon as I saw it - of course I bloody did - but I have yet to snatch the time to listen - so, no comment......

... other than thanks thanks as usual.
But it looks good boogaloo bounce for a party full of gezzers and geezeresses of a certain age.
(That'll be me, then.)

LAZZ said...

My personal disappointment with Detroit Gold more than ably compensated by this collection. From the vacuous silliness of iconic pop-hits like Louie-Louie and Lets Dance to the ultra-hip rhythmic phrasing of the horns the unlikely monikerred Dyke and the Blazers. (Reminds me of the actor Penis van Lesbian.) Biggest revitalising hit for me comes from the old favourite of Billy Stewart's "Summertime" - man, he is swinging HARD - and that sax solo is MONSTROUS - who the fuck is that playing ? I have to know.

KingCake said...

most likely it is Bunky Green
CREDITS
Gerald Sims Guitar
Burgess Gardner Trumpet
Julian Priester Trombone
Rubin Cooper Sax (Baritone)
Maurice White Drums
John Avant Trombone
Adam White Liner Notes
Paul Serrano Trumpet
Bob Neely Sax (Tenor)
Arthur Hoyle Trumpet
George Patterson Sax (Alto)
Roquel Davis Director
Louis Satterfield Bass (Electric)
Johnny Board Sax (Tenor)
Bo Diddley Guitar
Bunky Green Sax (Alto)
Billy Stewart Main Performer, Vocals
Cleo Griffin Trumpet
Leonard Caston Piano
Jerome Green Maracas
John Howell Trumpet
Sonny Thompson Piano
Charles Stepney Vibraphone
Pete Cosey Guitar
F. Humphrey ?
Philip Adrian Wright Arranger, Director
Bryce Roberson Guitar
Morris Ellis Trombone
Morris Jennings Drums

LAZZ said...

Great work, KC. I searched but did not find. Thanks.

(That actor, Penis van Lesbian, became hugely successful after changing his name to Dick van Dyke.)

poppachubby said...

I am up next with this one. I see Paul Serrano listed... reason enough, even if he is just a prefunctory player. Like LAZZ, I have been groovin to Stompin 1, 2 and 3 over the last few days.

Anonymous said...

Ain't Nothin' but a Houseparty ya'll!
I tell you, J Geils ain't got nothin' on The Showstoppers. And Barefootin' to boot. Thanks!
-john

g said...

Some might not like these compilations - I am not one of them. A few posts (well more than a few!) you posted one - might have been one of those "Stompin The Fuse" series - that took me back to when I first started listening to R&B on the radio - - and then I see this one - "Soul Shots" and it takes me back to that same time frame with a year or two added.
One of the many thing about this blogs - due to the fact that you post the details where possible of the recordings and that information gives us a little bit of knowledge of the performers. For instance - "The Show Stoppers" - I remember seeing them on a local TV show and assumed, even back then, they were doing some promotion tour for the single. Have the single, as a matter of fact, thanks to your post - I learned that 2 of them were/are the brothers of Solomon Burke. Speaking of Burke, who was from Philadelphia, I also am pretty sure that I own "The Fantastic Johnny C's" Boogaloo Down Broadway on 45 (somewhere in a box being saved) and knew or assumed that he was, at one time, from Philadelphia.
This one also has one by Dyke & The Blazers and I can tell you I've heard their "Let A Woman Be A Woman" covered in New Orleans by some notables. Maybe that tune will surface on another compilation.
Thanks (as Van Morrison has written) For The Information

Patsoul said...

I'm back again with some links :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7kfpau1ysgrk9t/1965_-_BILLY_STEWART_-_Unbelievable_(US-CHESS_LPS_1499)_stereo_%C2%B0.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fm2v2fp83xfaf7z/1966_-_JACKIE_LEE_-_The_Duck_(US-MIRWOOD_MW_7000)_vinyl_stereo_%C2%B0.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3cyancn7j88y4r3/1967_-_JACKIE_WILSON_-_Higher_and_higher_(US-BRUNSWICK_BL_54130)_stereo_%C2%B0.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/60rh6gxyp1ufo41/1967_-_JJ_JACKSON_-_But_it's_all_right_(US-CALLA_C_1101)_mono.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/o1gqluj6ja1sw1p/1969_-_BOB_%26_EARL_-_Harlem_shuffle_(UK-JAY_BOY_JSX_2004)_mono-stereo_%C2%B0.rar

Todd said...

It doesn't appear any of these still work.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.