Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mahalia Jackson - Come On Children, Let's Sing

Bruthaz an' Sistaz!!!  

Sorry I am late to church.  I am planning a hard look at some of Mahalia Jackson's greatest albums from her tenure at Columbia.  Each Sunday for the next several weeks I will post one.  I decided to start with this side because of its great notes on the back cover.  They are included of course in 300 dpi quality.  

There's no doubt that Black Baby is the real epic track from this set.  The album was clearly recorded inside a church so you really feel like you're in a pew during service.  Ripped from vinyl at 24/44.1 wav and dithered to 16/44.1 FLAC.  A bit of fried chicken in the mix but otherwise a wonderful rip, centered around Sister Jackson's tremendous pipes.  Enjoy!!!

Columbia CL 1428
1960

A1 Come On Children Let's Sing 1:55
A2 If We Ever Needed The Lord Before 4:20
A3 Because His Nae Is Jesus 2:50
A4 You Must Be Born Again 2:00
A5 Brown Baby 5:30
B1 The Christian's Testimony 2:32
B2 Keep A-Movin' 3:09
B3 A Christian Duty 3:19
B4 One Step 3:22
B5 God Is So Good 3:15
Quite simply, listening to this record is like going to church. Mahalia's voice, one of the strongest gospel voices to be put on record, is made even more powerful by the Falls-Webb ensemble, who chant, harmonize and rejoice in the background throughout the record. Upbeat numbers such as the title track find the choir in rare form, but the centerpiece of the album is Oscar Brown's "Brown Baby," the languid arrangement allowing Mahalia to pull at the song, stretching its melody for greatest emotional effect. - 4.5 / 5.0 : Steve Kurutz / AMG

8 comments:

poppachubby said...

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/97490067/file.html

-OR-

https://mega.co.nz/#!1h5yFTIT!LUNE_AIs8Pk_hGOL73InZxU9VDtRQGztFC7vTtpsUnY

KingCake said...

Nice!

I just want to also point out that as of today we have 68 Gospel posts, more than anyone on the web I'd guess

I've just acquired some new Gospel goodies myself including the Mahalia Apollo box from Cliff. Much rawer, lower production values, lesser musicians than the Columbia albums but undeniable power none the less. I think I'll hold those back until later.

Still, we appear to be well stocked for a goodly number of Sundays.

poppachubby said...

Great!! I guess we will be going backwards with Mahalia but who cares??!!? One thing is for sure we will have a wonderful stash of her greatest works. I have 7 original LPs to post.

Mutha Klanger said...

hallelujah, it looks like we're gonna be in for some serious sanctifyin' over the coming weeks and months. great stuff. thanks Poppa

Anonymous said...

So sez Elder Cliff... If I pray real hard may we get Bless This House (CL-899) or Every Time I Feel The Spirit (CL-1643) or maybe World's Greatest Gospel Singer (CL-644)? All blessings papa chubby.

poppachubby said...

Oh hello Cliff!! I do infact have CL644 and in wonderful condition. I had ripped it and posted it but something went awry and it was missing a track. I will rip it again and repost it ASAP. It's my favorite album of hers. Aside from that I have a really nice smattering of Columbia sides. All praise to the most high!!!!

flatspin said...

I really enjoy Mahalia Jackson on the upbeat toe-tappin' numbers - and this record's 'Keep-A-Movin' is a fine example! Thanks.

KingCake said...

Should you watch some video of Mahalia you'd see that she too loved those numbers - they would provoke her little spontaneous 'snake hip' dances that would have scandalized people were it not for 'Mother' Mahalia's otherwise saintly demeanor.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.