Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Emotionally Yours - Black America's Love Affair With Bob Dylan




I would guess that at least some of you have seen the differently titled Ace compilation which served as the base for this. Guitar Gus had sent me a copy when the J.P. Robinson post had gotten me thinking about a compilation like this. I found the Ace compilation to be a flawed and uneven listen and was sure that I could improve upon it. I did use about 2/3 of the tracks, but between the new tracks, dropped tracks and different sequence, it is a much different listening experience. I think it is pretty damn good.

7 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8AB2JKYYDR

RickB said...

You've got me really curious on this one. Haven't heard of the original version but I have no doubt you have improved on it. Thanks!

GuitarGus said...

Got to say KC - It's a real good 'un
Great singers and of course great songs
Get it guys !
Cheers

Feilimid O'Broin said...

A great collection! Thanks for cobbling it together. I'll be honest, I wasn't aware that black America had a secret love affair with Dylan. It seemed pretty obvious to me. From Odetta through Jimi Hendix, Nina Simone, Richie Havens, the Isley Brothers, and Harry Belafonte to a host of others, the love affair seemed to me to be fairly public. I am also thinking of how profoundly moved Sam Cooke was by Dylan's "Blowing In the Wind". Dylan is an incredible lyricist and I can think of many African American artists who have recorded his songs. For that matter, one of the best versions of "Knocking On Heaven's Door" I have aver heard was recorded by reggae artist Arthur Louis. I think a more apt title might be A Soul Tribute To Dylan but nonetheless the collection is a wonderful treat for which I thank you and Guitar Gus.

LAZZ said...

What a fascinating challenge.
I do believe, though, that I would have dropped even more from that Ace package.

Prime problematic issue for me is that while Bob may be cool, he is rarely groovy. Nina Simone does a great job at reconstitution, also the Persuasions, Booker T, the Isleys, and the O'Jays, But the balance leaves my ears and heart and hips less than gruntled. Other tracks seem perfunctory and flat as a brief flirtation with the Dylan profile rather than a real hungry love affair.

Perversely, I have occasionally attempted a similar exercise with the Elton John songbook - bless his cuddly heart - but, like Dylan, have found convincing re-interpretations as scarce as my winning lottery ticket. The catalogue of the Beatles (no, they'll never get anywhere with a dumb name like that) has been far more fruitful for soulful re-expressions, I think. And I think it has to do with things musical. The roux.

But still a fascinating thing to do. When Gus notified me privately of the KC plan, I made a quick sweep through my own collection to see what it would yield. And, if anyone is interested, I came up with only five estimable and worthy versions of Bobby D. material in my opinion and on my shelves: - the novelty value of "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 by Colonel Jubilation B Johnson; "Just Like A Woman" by Bill Frisell; "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" by Bert Seager; Mr Tambourine Man" by Baptiste Trotignon; and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Curtis Stigers. All instrumental, save for Stigers. And curiously all white folk.

Have to save a special spot for Hendrix, though.

Thanks for the entertaining journey, KC.
Nice piece of work.

Anonymous said...

Unkle Cliff Sez: Keep in mind that the musicians who recorded as Colonel Jubilation B Johnson were the same folks working with Dylan while he recorded Blonde On Blonde. A fantastic slice of history which really deserves a CD reissue.

Mescalero said...

Hello, is it possible to re-up this gem?
Thanks in advance, Alex

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.