Sunday, September 6, 2015

Bessie Griffin & The Gospel Pearls - Live at The Bear in Chicago, LP rip

This Sunday's service comes from my own LP rip -

 Recorded Live at "The Bear" in Chicago
Griffin, Bessie and the Gospel Pearls
Pure Exalting Joy

Of the many fire-breathing gospel women working in Mahalia Jackson's shadow, Bessie Griffin (1922–1989) was the one most likely to send a congregation into rapture. Her voice was big and authoritative, a supple yet sturdy instrument that one student, the singer and songwriter Neko Case, esteems as "the greatest singing voice North America has ever produced." Griffin used that gift to send pure exalting joy through time-tested warhorses of gospel, and when supported by the five Gospel Pearls, who were more vigorous than most backing chorales, the sound they produced together is awesome. You hear Griffin do anything—"Wade in the Water," "Didn't It Rain"—and you're ready to join her congregation.

A native of New Orleans, Griffin managed to record for over four decades. Although she was frequently cited as a major force in gospel, and appears on many key compilations, she never attained superstar status. Compounding that slight is this: Many of her best works, including Swing Down Sweet Chariot and the conceptual Portraits in Bronze, have not been issued on CD. As a result, this live date, which is a bit heavy on the upbeat jubilee zeal, is the best way to encounter Griffin. Put it on, and prepare to be converted.

7 comments:

poppachubby said...

This looks really great KC thanks. I need a dose of something righteous. My oldest boy is going to be 7 this year, and has begun to listen to various pop music. He wanted to put on a Lady Gaga song on youtube the other day and as he looked through the several videos, I was appalled at what I saw.

I'm not a churchgoer, but I do believe in the battle for the soul. I couldn't believe the different symbolism she uses which clearly links to the occult. Throwin up 666 hand signals, costumes which give her demonic appearance, etc, etc. In one live video of this song, she talks to a huge festival crowd and basically blasphemes so outwardly and deliberately it's disgusting. I don't know what this broads deal is, but I had no idea she was like that.

So yes, I need some light after viewing such darkness. Thanks again homey...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sir KingCake. It's nice to see the gospel posts continue on Sunday mornings. The Bessie Griffin (on cd) is one I actually have owned and enjoyed for some time. As the comments say, listen and feel the Spirit. Be moved to dance with feelings that cannot be contained. Thank you once again! LOLness

Anonymous said...

LOL Had to laugh at the word PEAL for PEARLS...... But I'm sure the I won't laugh at the album.
Thank you for sharing......

Wayne

KingCake said...

an mp3 version cut to tracks
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6NCYWHMTK4

Carlos Tibau said...

Obrigado pelo album
Forte abraço

poppachubby said...

Found a copy of this at my local thrift shop yesterday - in minty condition!!!

mirko said...

Thank you! I've been looking for a complete version since 2005!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.