Monday, October 29, 2012

Blowing he Fuse 1958

 The one thing I will point out personally here is track 4 by Roy Hamilton - now you know who Elvis was REALLY copying!

"While the 1958 volume in the Bear Family label's Blowing the Fuse series may not have as many utterly well-known hits, that doesn't mean it's not every bit a treasure trove of fine music. Far from it, and it does have its share; Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," Johnny Otis' "Willie and the Hand Jive," Jackie Wilson's "Lonely Teardrops," Fats Domino's "Whole Lotta Loving," the Monotones' "Book of Love," and Bobby Freeman's' "Do You Wanna Dance" all qualify in this category, as does Little Richard's "Good Golly Miss Molly." But there are other smoking cuts such as Roy Hamilton's rock & roll and R&B hybrid "Don't Let Go," the early soul of Sam Cooke's early solo effort "I'll Come Running Back to You," and Little Willie John's "Talk to Me, Talk to Me." But the side opens with the inimitable wail of the Hollywood Flames' "Buzz, Buzz, Buzz," which is early rock & roll as it engaged doo wop. And then there's the scorching original version of "Rockin' Robin" by Bobby Day. In other words, it's about as necessary as a record of early rock & roll and R&B can be. Get it." amg

4 comments:

LAZZ said...

I LOVE this series, KC.
I want to marry it.
Thanks.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I love it but don't want to marry it because polygamy is illegal in this country and I want to be intimate with each separate volume on its own terms. There's so much talent and history, and so many memories in this series that words are inadequate to describe how great it is.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I love it but don't want to marry it because polygamy is illegal in this country and I want to be intimate with each separate volume on its own terms. There's so much talent and history, and so many memories in this series that words are inadequate to describe how great it is.

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC
Yet another great year ( there just isn't a bad one in R&B terms ) Even the not-quite-classics are still quality - These were the days of excitement on the dancefloor !

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.