If you have begun to notice that some very familiar tunes sound different in this set it is likely because these are the originals by the black artists rather than the white covers that sold more copies and are more often played.
"Blowing the Fuse: 29 R&B Classics That Rocked the Jukebox in 1959 is among the finer entries in this excellent series issued by the Bear Family label. For starters just look at the list of artists that appear here: James Brown, Lavern Baker, Lloyd Price, Bo Diddley, Jackie Wilson, Brook Benton, the Coasters, the Flamingos, and more. It's loaded. Just looking over the contents makes a serious music listener wistful for a culture where the juke box still thrived everywhere, from diners to bars and even bowling alleys. These early sides by some of the greatest R&B artists are not to be missed. Brown's "Try Me," drips with so much lonely ache, you want to help him find his woman. Likewise, the lonely sax blowing behind Baker is a response to her every brokenhearted line. Price's "Stagger Lee" is one of the great reads of the song -- whether Greil Marcus likes it or not -- the groove is tight, tough, and it sounds like the unfolding of an epic, and it all happens in two-minutes-and-22 seconds. There's also a smoking version of Wilbert Harrison's stroller "Kansas City." Hank Ballard's "The Twist" is rawer than the Chubby Checker version, which is why the latter was probably the hit. There isn't a track on this monster that doesn't shimmy, shake, or groove, and you need it. Period." Jurek, AMG


7 comments:
I don't care about illegality. I don't concern myself with laws against polygamy. This one looks just as good as her sisters. We're made for each other. She's mine. She's mine. You'd have to be blind.
Man thanks KC. So that leaves one more? I don't want this series to end...
Well PC you will be happy to know that it does not end, it just changes name! Then there are 10 more! I've only got 6 or 7 of them so far tho, we are good up to 1966 I thihk
A torrid affair of mad listening suffices then on to the next year because each requires, no, demands my rapt attention. I am not one whose attention can be divided in so many ways at one time so I leave the legal violations to you, Lazz. With six or seven more coming, we'll be too occupied for jealousy or rivalry to divert our attention from the muses. Seriously, this is the set,the musical catalog of the better part of a century, that I have always wanted and didn't even know existed until it was posted here. It is incredible.
A torrid affair of mad listening suffices then on to the next year because each requires, no, demands my rapt attention. I am not one whose attention can be divided in so many ways at one time so I leave the legal violations to you, Lazz. With six or seven more coming, we'll be too occupied for jealousy or rivalry to divert our attention from the muses. Seriously, this is the set,the musical catalog of the better part of a century, that I have always wanted and didn't even know existed until it was posted here. It is incredible.
Thanks KC
Another 29 slices of great R&B - This is a great series and I'm like a pig in shit !
Cheers
Actually, checking again - I have everything except 1969
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.