Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ray Charles - Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952 - 1959)

Unky Cliff has requested a re-up for this set which put me in a mad scramble to fulfill his request.  I feel really great that we can send something his way, so Unky Cliff, if you're reading this.  A big thank you from all of us here at the Chitlins blog!!!

I will be slowly re-upping all of my previous posts.  If anyone has a specific request, don't be shy - put it in the shoutbox.

Why insult anyone's intelligence?!?!  There's nothing I can say here that you don't already know. This is the motherload... all of it guys and gals.  I think the title captures it perfectly - Pure Genius - certainly a word that's thrown around much too much nowadays.

Unlike my Stax/Volt set, this has been captured in FLAC.  All covers have been scanned and everything is tagged accordingly.

This collection is a must own for any music lover, as essential as Beethoven, Mozart, Bob Dylan, The Beatles... you name it.

Enjoy!!!




27 comments:

KingCake said...

WOW - Just loverly

GuitarGus said...

If I didn't already have this fabulous box-set I'd be ecstatic - Thought I'd comment even though I won't be D/L
Good job Poppa C

deGallo said...

Oh My!! I have this in wma at vbr. This will be some treat. Will take a few days for me to DL. Thank you poppachubby!!!

LAZZ said...

Thanks PoppaChubby.
I will be back for this for sure.

Kneigh said...

PoppaChubby, I hate to be a spoil sport, 'cause this is just one awesome post. However, when I got done downloading this, disc 8 is not there!! Like this isn't enuf Ray Charles for the normal person with 7 discs!! However, I thought I'd better let you know that disc 8 was missing.
Lordy, what a great post!!! Many thanx, Poppa!!

poppachubby said...

I will investigate once the kids are in bed.

poppachubby said...

Kneigh I will upload disc 8 seperately, should be up later tonight...

poppachubby said...

Ahhhhh...

I am just sitting at my computer now for the first time since reading this issue. Disc 8 is infact a DVD and I opted to NOT include it.

I will however consider ripping it for Chitlins followers, but it won't be a high priority. I will post a shout once I have it done.

Sorry for the confusion Kneigh...

LPR said...

Tell me what i'd say? Thanks i'd say! This is awesome!

Kneigh said...

Sorry for the confusion right back, Poppa!! If I would have looked a bit closer to the rear jacket pic, I would have noticed the DVD icon there. No problem!! There's sure a ton of Ray to digest here!! Many thanx again!!

Baron said...

Thank you PoppaChubby - MAMMOTH post!

Let's MAGA said...

Dangit PoppaChubby. Fantastic share. Thanks. This will play fine when I hit the road, Jack.

deGallo said...

Well, I finally got this after several days. Thanks again.

the doc said...

I have this set and can heartily recommend it!

poppachubby said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmhhbhqysxi6j62,m5k8q218jpg6kko,rdzcvf3ropgww5y,33nr78adf61tape,iizdcu7839cjojm,x43p26hgs3tdvl4,bjdu3cm5r2mfyp6,e2d9a5pt75stbbp,9ingo8c8o9pvlp8,vnpb8b7pjtdw036,s510nbqpyaie4fh,ao03c5v0fxew3q2,pzvoypxb1i1nvnl,287yd8a4g79uc7q

Ground Rules said...

Whoa, the mutha load! Thanks so much for this essential music!

Feilimid O'Broin said...

I'll take the seven discs as is. I've been listening all night and it's wonderful tonic for a miserable sinus infection and the peculiar weather here lately in Maryland. James Brown and Ray Charles in one week are really scaling the heights and I appreciate them greatly. I know it's not quite the genre for this blog but if you come across Charles' country album and consider posting it, some of us would be grateful to the point of slavish adulation.

Just when I'm thinking that the primary attraction of this blog is exposure to the lesser and unknown artists,you drop a bomb like this and I have to admit I love it all. Given that you reposted this set around Columbus day, I can't help thinking of a very young Richard Pryor's routine that he use to perform on the Ed Sullivan show about the excitement of his ancestors that Chris was gonna discover Ray Charles when he arrived in America. Thanks for making my weekend; words are really inadequate to convey the joy at finding this reposting!!!

Feilimid O'Broin said...

By the way, for what it's worth,the Twilightzone music blog posted this week a tribute compilation to Arthur Alexander as well as his last recording with additional music. The final recording includes excerpts of his interview and performance on National Public Radio's Fresh Air with Terry Gross. It's a great follow-up to your posting and what is haunting is that Alexander sounds so relaxed and comfortable with his performing and his music, and died shortly afterwards from a heart attack. There's even a photograph of Alexander in front of his school bus. It goes without saying that your write-up was much more informative and insightful but if anyone is interested in more of his music, it's available there.

KingCake said...

the folks at twilightzone ride your pony totally know their shit and have seemingly endless libraries, they have a different focus than I do but they clearly know their shit inside and out, as do several others out there. I am sure that both Cliff and myself have downloaded from them in the past and may well have used something from them here so thanks is due. They do not seem to encourage either conversation or sharing of much information however.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

They're knowledgeable but the vantage point is often European whereas you're writing reflects a more familiar sense of history and cultural context. You explore the personalities behind the music as well as their development. The nuances and insights make all the difference.

wouter said...

motherlode indeed, this has long been one of my all-time favourites.
i just want to give you credit for this fantastic post, Poppa!

i12rok said...

I have this already but can't tell you how many times I go back to this great music.At birth every child should get a "life kit" and this should be included.This will be listened to 100 years from now.

Nick said...

Words fail me. A belated thank you for this. This will be the greatest thing I will listen to all month.

Nick said...

...but is anyone else having trouble dl'ing the whole thing? For part03 and part10, I keep getting the same messge: "Split Archive Blocked: The file you attempted to download is an archive that is part of a set of archives. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of split archives and the limit for this file has been reached." Every other file dl'ed with no problem. Anyone else have the same problem?

Nick said...

Whoops, never mind! Guess I just got greedy. A little patience solves almost everything. Thank you again for this beauty, pops!

Nick said...

Whoops, never mind! Guess I just got greedy. A little patience solves almost everything. Thank you again for this beauty, pops!

doug said...

Amazing post, but I guess I'm missing something here... Where is the download link??

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.