Thursday, November 12, 2015

Allen Toussaint - Motion & Life, Love and Faith

 A dreary gray day here in the city that care forgot. The sky has joined the music lovers of New Orleans in shedding tears for the loss of a great man. Even those who have felt wronged by him at some time would never wish him the fate of passing away alone in a hotel, so far from his beloved New Orleans. The apparent glamour of the life of a musician has a dark side that is too easily forgotten. I'm a little surprised by the depth of sadness and loss I am feeling today as I sit to write this while listening to Motion. Through my friend Zigaboo I had been introduced to the imperfect side of Allen, but over time I've let it go. It is a sign of your own mortality when your heroes are dying at such an alarming rate.


"It could be the closest I've ever come to greatness.

I was at an outdoor daytime concert at the Old U.S. Mint in New Orleans. Just before the music began, a slim, elegant figure emerged. He leaned against a wall near where I was standing and proceeded to listen to the music by a band that enjoyed playing the songs of the great Louisiana swamp rocker Bobby Charles.

It was Allen Toussaint.
Toussaint, who died Monday at 77, was a seminal force in New Orleans rhythm and blues. Yet there he was, by himself, no entourage or posse or special treatment, dapper as always in a suit despite the New Orleans heat, mingling with the masses and enjoying the tunes.

Toussaint, a disciple of New Orleans piano legend Professor Longhair, was a protean musician, a singer, a splendid piano player in a city that has produced so many of them, and, most important, a prolific songwriter and producer.  He wrote so many of the songs that define the extremely fertile era of 50s and 60s New Orleans R&B – think Mother-in-Law and Lipstick Traces and Working in the Coal Mine and I Like It Like That and Ruler of My Heart. He collaborated with Elvis Costello, Paul McCartney and Patti LaBelle. He  arranged horns for The Band. His songs were covered by the Rolling Stones (Fortune Teller) and Glen Campbell (Southern Nights). He was named to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and he received a National Humanities Medal from President Obama.
He is a national treasure.

Yet for all his achievements, for all that prodigious talent, Allen Toussaint never became a household name  – except in the right households. And, of course, in New Orleans, where he was royalty." Rem Reider, USA Today


5 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7ZHZHGOQRD-Motion.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2IGWUGUWLK-Life, Love and Faith.rar

KingCake said...

I believe our friend Feilimed will be wondering when I had a change of heart regarding Allen so here is the story. At that tiny little neighborhood festival on Esplanade, I had the opportunity to have a long chat with Allen. He was always amazingly approachable and gracious. We talked about lesser known lights like Eldridge Holmes, Willie Harper and Diamond Joe and he expressed amazement at my knowledge of these guys. At some point I revealed that I was a long time friend of Joseph 'Zigaboo' Modeliste and that thru him I had been left with a less than positive image of him. Rather than duck or get defensive, he instead looked genuinely pained and said "I hate that Joseph and Leo have so much animosity towards me, I love them like little brothers and had it been my decision I would had given them everything they asked for without ever going to court, but it was Marshall's (Seahorn) decision to make and I really had no say in it. He was so honest and forthright about it that I found I couldn't hold on to the grudge bequeathed to me by my friends. By the time I walked away my feelings about him were completely changed. From that point on whenever I saw him he made a point of greeting me warmly and remembering my name.

Alisa said...

Where do I even start KC? I know Night People, but that is the extent of my exposure to Mr. Toussaint. Recommendations for a noob?

Feilimid O'Broin said...

No, I don't wonder, le Roi. Even our greatest heroes have flaws and I only have to listen to Toussaint's music to understand his deep enjoyment of life and love of people. I sometimes find myself among all too many who are readily willing to pass judgment without knowing all the facts. More importantly, your posting of Toussaint's music several times on this wonderful blog well before his death speaks for itself. Given your taste in music and sagacity about all things pertaining New Orleans and its cultures, the posts proclaim high praise for the man and his accomplishments regardless of the faults about which your friends made you aware.

Dirk Bill said...

Since my vinyl of this is long gone, I can only say thank you for bringing this back to me.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.