Sunday, November 15, 2015

Nashboro Gospel - I Heard The Angels Singing

Okay - I know that church is late today, but I'm distracted - this one is for our favorite little old lady!

"Ernest L. Young learned the music business from the ground up, starting in the jukebox operating field, and soon became one of the largest suppliers in the Nashville area. He opened Ernie's Record Mart on Third Avenue North in Nashville as a means to move more records, and realizing the advantages in making his own product, he built a small studio in the back of the store, later expanding into a larger space on the third floor of his shipping department building, finally opening the pioneering gospel label Nashboro Records in 1951. Young launched a secular subsidiary label, the more famous Excello Records, four years later in 1955. Always hands-on, Young oversaw every phase of making records at his labels, and gospel artists responded by giving Young's Nashboro imprint one of the finest rosters of gospel in the genre's history, while his roster for the Excello blues and R&B subsidiary was pretty singular too -- but that's another story. This four-disc set, which comes complete in a gatefold LP-sized package, surveys Nashboro's gospel output chronologically from 1951 to 1983, and it's an eye-opening, explosive anthology of gritty, exuberant black gospel from a label that had as much to do with shaping the sound of pop music in the latter part of the 20th century as more famous labels like Sun and Chess Records did. The roots of soul and so much more are heard here, and with the way the set is assembled, one can hear the decades build forward through the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s into the full-band, funky and R&B-influenced tracks from the 1970s and 1980s. The whole anthology is a delight, and there are some familiar names here, like the Fairfield Four, for one, but there are just as many or more obscure artists here making powerful musical statements. A particular high point is the husband-and-wife duo the Consolers' 1957 version of "This May Be the Last Time," a song the Rolling Stones had a secular hit with in the mid-'60s (under the title "The Last Time"). In the Consolers' hands, the song seems so much brighter, jangly and more alive, and it speaks to deeper and wider concerns than the Stones' version does. It's just one example of the many powerful tracks collected in this set. Bravo to Tompkins Square for spotlighting the best little gospel label that ever was." AllMusic Guide

16 comments:

ceedee said...

Just a brilliant collection. Gives you an overview of gospel's development too, finishing with legends Tommy Ellison and Willie Neal Johnson, violin and all. Great post.

poppachubby said...

killer

RickB said...

Oh yes!! Blow me away, KC....thanks thanks! Amen.

Preslives said...

Really, really tremendous, KC! Thanks. This one was on my list to buy at soon as I am back in the States. Now I no longer need to wait for the music. There was a good Nashboro CD reissue program for a while in 1990s, but it concentrated mostly on the major artists. This collection has a large number of fabulous tracks from less prolific artists on the label that I didn't have previously. As for the contention in the liner notes that Nashboro played as great a role in shaping the sound of popular music as Chess or Sun, I can't say that I agree with that. No matter - this is music of the very first order.

flatspin said...

Only knew The Radio Four and Consolers on Nashboro but there's so many more great acts on this collection! Thanks.

Brush&Stick said...

Wow! Nashboro finally gets its due! Savoy and Peacock are probably more celebrated labels, but the Nashboro catalog is pretty amazing! Thanks for this wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Been looking for this forever... any chance of a re-post?

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9XCNHFGCMY-CD4 Heaven, Ive Heard So Much About It (1966-1983).rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=00LKJFISKG-CD3 Dont Drive Your Children Away (1964-1967).rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9JVTCUBXRN-CD2 Seat in the Kingdom (1958-1963).rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6IBSEHIZHA-CD1 Looking for a Better Place (1951-1957).rar

Lil'ol'lady said...

Oh, KingCake, thank you so very much! You have so many gospel posts I dreamed of hearing, but this was the crown jewel! There is no limit to the gratitude I feel. As children say, "Thank you to Infinity". There is nothing original I can say about gospel. Its value is immeasurable. The beautiful voices, the creative arrangements, the ability to touch every aspect of the human condition to make things feel better are, frankly, beyond description. One must listen to the music to fully appreciate it. This is sorely needed after the sad, tragic events of last week. You have lifted the spirits of many with your shares. What a wonderful gesture for you to do so post after post! Again, thank you.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Somehow I missed this the first time around and greatly appreciate the re-posting. I can't top what Lil 'Ol' Lady has written so I won't even try and will instead thank her for describing so effusively and beautifully the power of this music. Her second to last line expresses succinctly what I feel so often when I listen to the music you and other posters have shared. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that the Toussaint posts were wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.....

Wayne

Pippo said...

Thank you KC, beyond any verbal and written gratefulness.

rontokyo said...

What a pleasant surprise. Never expected this gem to make an appearance . . . but here it is! Many thanks for all your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Oh so happy.... THANK YOU. So very, very grateful.

Prof. Yaffle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Prof. Yaffle said...

Many thanks. Would love to read the liner notes.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.