Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Pilgrim Jubilee Singers - Homecoming

Happy Sunday!  I would like to share with you a favorite gospel disc of mine.

The Pilgrim Jubilee Singers have been one of the premium gospel quartets since the 1950s.  They made quite a number of fine records for Peacock and Nashboro in the 50s and 60s.  Most of these recordings have unfortunately become hard to find in the digital age. 

The Pigrim Jubilees were formed by three brothers, Cleve, Elgie, and Eddie Graham, who grew up singing in the choir of New Zion Baptist Church in Houston, Mississippi.  All three brothers are tenors and alternate leads.  They employ two other singers to sing baritone and bass.

This is by far my favorite item in the Pilgrim Jubilee discography, a dynamite live recording from 1979 recorded at Wendy Phillips High School in Chicago.   While there exist other fine examples of live gospel recordings from golden age quartets, this one has a special place in my heart, an extended example in great sound of a gospel quartet really working the crowd, beginning with a light simmer and gradually turning up the heat to complete frenzy.  Spiritual nourishment is guaranteed.   

13 comments:

Preslives said...

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/Mu1zNx9a/file.html

pmac said...

With a write up like that, how can I not listen! Thanks, Pres.

KingCake said...

Ooooo...Hell yeah! btw - I've got a whole boxload of new gospel from Unky Cliff that I will soon start rolling out - I've completely lost track of what I've posted from my own collection so this will fuel the summer gospel posts for a while.

poppachubby said...

Thanks Pres gonna scoop this one up...

poppachubby said...

Thanks Pres gonna scoop this one up...

Preslives said...

KC - I'll be waiting for the unloading for the Unky Cliff Gospel Box. :)

KingCake said...

16 new discs of gospel now at my desk!

Daver88 said...

Thanks Pres. Do you have any info on the musos/group backing them. Tight little unit & some snappy guitar in there

Anonymous said...

Seems very interesting!

Preslives said...

Daver88 - Unfortunately, I do not. The liner notes do not give this information. In the late 50s and early 60s, the Jubes regularly used Bobby McDougal on guitar, Ray Atkins on bass, and Larry Morton on piano. But I have no idea if any of them play on this later recording.

anonymous said...

An entire box of gospel!!!??? Lol-ness couldn't be happier. Thanks in advance!

Frankie Alibi said...

This has expired apparently. Any chance of updating it? Many thanks in advance!

KingCake said...

You need to look under the tag Pilgrim Jubilee Singers and you will find that I recently did anexhaustive 4 part series that includes nearly everything the have done to modern times, this one is just a tiny part of that.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.