Cheapo-cheapo production principles had led them to use the least costly and most crappy crumbling shellac they could lay hands on. So overcoming the extreme challenges of preservation and restoration is a great triumph. And the compilation, design and production of this two-volume archival history, by Jack White’s Third Man Records in partnership with Dean Blackwood & John Fahey’s Revenant Records, is a real labour of love.
Volume 1 covers the decade 1917-27.
Volume 2 covers the company’s final 5 years between '28 and '32.
There are 1600 tracks in total.
Of which this is the first tranche.
(Maybe the next ones should be smaller.)
https://mega.co.nz/#!TUYRwJzJ!h-WvdwmKZ9gMvn04OGObLKCwfH-SJvm4WsGFCTvHaLg

22 comments:
Talk about the motherlode! Thanks, Lazz. Time for a new external hard drive.
Hi Lazz,
A lot of work for you to upload this one. Unfortunately, for those of us with older computers, MEGA just doesn't work - it keeps stopping at 73 per cent, as if it's on a loop. It's not the size of the file so much, as MEGA itself (even smaller files behave the same way.) I'm disappointed because it looks like an incredible box, but I know the majority of folks here won't experience the problem. Regards, Daddy Cool
@Daddy Cool : When Part 2 is made available, I'm sure a kind soul will be happy to re-up every disc separately, say to zippy, and post them here. If no one else, that could be yours truly.
@Lurker: That would be so fantastic! I'll keep wishing, and thanks very much for responding here with the kind offer.
Daddy Cool
@Daddy Cool - I too have an ancient computer which requires constant resuscitation - and I too have troubles with pretty much all downloding sites. The problems I had with MEGA - which were the same as yours - all faded away once I registered with them as a free user.
Perhaps you could try doing the same - see if it works.
@Lurker - truly a marvellously generous offer to volunteer as solution for Daddy Cool - but there is more than just part 2 to come.
Unless the file-size is identified as problematic, Volume 1 comes in three parts, with Volume 2 the same. That's how they came to me, via torrent, courtesy of a preparer and sharer somewhere in the UK called Beolab1700 (big thanks to you, B) so there is really little work involved for me other than clicking a button for upload and waiting 'til it's done.
@Lazz : thanks for the info. I realize this is a sum of a box set and it might take time to do what I plan to do. But all it really means to me is I'll have to UL every CD at once to zippy, save the given URLs everytime, and post them once I got it all done. I'm retired, divorced, children are grown, I have all the time in the world. And I have this place members to thank for great music, so a little "repay" every now and then seems the right thing to do. ;)
BTW, I have a 5 y.o. laptop, running a 5 y.o. Windows 7, but suscribing to Mega as a free user solved my own problems with them too. So I think it's a good advice. ;)
Sorry, I typed " UL every CD at once to zippy" when I really meant one by one.
Hi Lazz,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but for some reason it didn't work in my case.
You said that you have problems with all of the downloading sites. I don't know if this will help, but I stopped having difficulties with Zippyshare when I switched to Firefox and added the AdBlock Plus feature. It's been great since then. I hope it might work for you too.
Daddy Cool
@All : ok, this is going to be a hard promise to keep. Not that I'm giving up - at least not yet LOL- but there are a couple of difficulties I found here. First, what our friend Lazz posted is the content of the USB drive that comes with the box set. And the tracks on it are listed alphabetically, not in the order they are on the discs. Plus, from what I've gathered online, there are 87 tracks on the discs, and 800 on the USB drive. And I found a total of 550 tracks after DL'ing parts 1 & 2 of Lazz's generous share. So I'm a bit puzzled here, not quite knowing which is which. So if it's alright with everyone waiting for me to keep that promise, I'll just separate those 550 tracks into as many folders it takes to UL them to zippy and post them here in the comments as they go.
Worse yet Lurker! I think there are actually 1,600 tracks total rather than 800! There will be at least 4 more of these beyond #2. I would suggest sorting them by year (they are tagged) and then artist -- I could use the pre-war Blues Discography to achieve actual chrono recording order, but I don't really see the point in that - year and artist seems more useful to my mind.
Hi Lurker,
It's not fair to expect you to go to this extra trouble after you've already done the work with Mega. I, for one, release you from your previous offer to upload to ZS. ;-)
I'm sure most of the readers here have no difficulties. Maybe the links will still be active when I get around to purchasing a new computer. As my gran always used to say, "It's the thought that counts!" - so thanks again.
Daddy Cool
@Daddy Cool : I've already UL'ed half of it to Zippy. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow parralel uploads like it used to anymore. But I'm too far into it to stop now. Don't worry, I'm doing other things while the different parts upload, and only check back every 20 mns or so. ;)
While I'm at it, I might as well post what's already available :
Part 1:
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/OcP3VsYy/file.html
Part 2:
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/ukAJz2kB/file.html
Part 3:
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/iNE4Lr7z/file.html
Part 4:
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/R9QLcnz2/file.html
Part 5:
http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/59DrL3S4/file.html
Part 6:
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/CGWUCmsH/file.html
Part 7:
http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/QzLTVEsF/file.html
Part 8:
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/KlYFTIAR/file.html
This is absolutely incredible, Lurker! Thanks for your generosity and hard work on this.
Daddy Cool
Here are a few more :
Part 9:
http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/J3mPNq89/file.html
Part 10:
http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/VKwd6gWh/file.html
Part 11:
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/aFFnVIjN/file.html
Part 12:
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/7RNJ8MnM/file.html
Part 13:
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/nktbq7Jg/file.html
Part 14:
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/qehEaO6R/file.html
I'll try to finish tomorrow, but I can't promise anything as I'll have a busy day. I'll do my best. I've been lurking long enough. ;)
What a great man, that Lurker.
KC is right - 1600 sides in total.
First of all, many thanks LAZZ! I'm just stunned by this.
Thumps up to Lurker. I'll be grabbing the MEGA versions myself, but well done sir!
I can relate to the problems with MEGA. I'm using a 6-ish year old laptop with Vista. MEGA was working fine for me with Chrome and then one day it just went wonky. It would download, get to the end and I would get errors. I did a lot of reading up on it but could never get it to work.
I switched to Firefox for MEGA downloads and all is well.
One way to bypass the browser issues is to get jdownloader or even better the new jdownloader2 beta - I just switched to the new one and I'm impressed -- the newest one works on almost everything, you can even input your account info for the various services to take advantage of the extra speed they offer registered users. They have greatly reduced the number of dl's that go back to zero when interrupted too, almost everything restarts from where it left off. They are freeware btw
So here are the last parts of what I got from Lazz's original generous share :
Part 15:
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/ntmYcPKA/file.html
Part 16:
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/GURfEqcv/file.html
Part 17:
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/tiJdPPzD/file.html
Part 18:
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/ZMmICCdk/file.html
Part 19 (including Lazz's PDF tracklist):
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/1sY3xsNH/file.html
Today I had a friend on the phone who owns both box sets. Yes, I have rich friends. LOL He confirmed that each box comes with a USB key and that said keys has 800 tracks each on them. I'm not sure why Lazz's posts (part 1 & 2) only contain 550 tracks, but I'm not going to complain! Especially considering that this friend told me he had been unable to save any of those USB keys content to his hard drive. They're protected vs copy. Even more reason to thank Lazz for his posts!
Helluva job Lurker! btw Lazz has one more post to part 1 which will make 800 -- then there will 3 parts for volume 2! ie we aren't even half way yet!
Thank you KingCake - and the others - for your kind words. I'm glad Lazz plans to post more. I've been a blues fan for 30 years. Blues took me back to the soul music I used to enjoy in my pre-teens but had kind of left behind, to zydeco, opened me to gospel music, re-acquainted me with jazz. Hip Hop's still a little hard on this ol' geezer. But apart from that, the whole history, social context of the blues, the whole thing, opened me to African American musicin general. And I've been loving the pre-war stuff more and more through the years, so I could understand the frustration of those who couldn't get it through Mega. ;)
Wonderful generosity from Lazz and Lurker. I actually have Vol 1 from somewhere else (just the USB tracks) but greatly appreciate the full Field Manual (shared with the final tranche of vol 1). I also echo KC's recommendation for JDownloader 2 Beta. Saves so much time. Looking forward to Vol 2.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.