In the past couple of years we have been treated to not just one but a pair of lost Irma Thomas albums from the early 70's finally seeing the light of day in the CD era. Irma had left New Orleans and, for a couple years, music following 1969's hurricane Camille. By late 1971 she began a comeback, signing to Atlantic Records, seemingly her shot at the big time. For some reason Jerry Wexler never chose to release Thomas' Atlantic/Cotillion recordings - there is some speculation that Aretha's management may have had some hand in that, but I'd also offer the thought that Wexler may well have been using Irma as leverage with Aretha. Wexler would have done anything to prevent losing Aretha the way he lost Ray Charles. These recordings would be have been made in 1971 & 1972.
As soon as she finished her Atlantic contract Irma signed with Jerry 'Swamp Dogg' Williams to his Fungus label in 1973 and made this strong album of Southern Soul with Duane Allman and others from the Muscle Shoals musician circle. I had heard of this record, but had never seen it until it's reissue a couple years ago.


8 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0HI4OFGVFW
Thanks KC. I don't know either of these albums. Will be great to hear what Irma was up to.
The In Between Tears album is very good, and the Swamp Dog influence is pretty obvious. I heard the Cotillion album awhile back, and its decent - not one of her best efforts, but definietly worth a listen. Thanks, KC.
The Cotillion album was new to me when it came out. Good music.
Thanks KC
2 albums by Irma...that I've never heard...Great !!!
Cheers
Link morto!!!
Hi, just came across your blog, sorry I am late to the party :)
Is there a way for 'dead link files" I come across to be reuploaded? Is there a way to have FLAC versions at all please?
Already seeing some great music :)
Thx
Links are dead. Could you please re-up? Thank you in advance.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.