Another interesting comp from the Soul Jazz folks. Much of it is stuff many will have, but even for me there are a number of things I hadn't encountered yet. Worth the effort.
" For more than ten years Soul Jazz Records have been exploring and
documenting the sound of New Orleans Funk. Now they turn their attention
to the flipside of this musical coin - New Orleans Soul.
These
two musical forms share a lineage that begins with the city's enormous
rhythm and blues explosion in the post-war 1940s and 1950s. New Orleans
Soul incorporated the soulful vocals of the gospel church, the driving
beat of rhythm and blues, as well as traces of the second-line parade
bands and the latinized rhythms of the city.
Here you will find
New Orleans soul in all its glorious variations from the deep, deep soul
of singers Aaron Neville, Willie Tee and Robert Parker to the storming
northern soul of Maurice Williams and Eldridge Holmes, the funky soul of
Eddie Bo, Lionel Robinson and Ernie K-Doe all alongside the Crescent
City's finest soul sisters Irma Thomas, Betty Harris, Jean Knight, Inell
Young and more!
The main force behind New Orleans Soul is Allen
Toussaint, a virtual one-man hit-making machine in the 1960s, writing,
arranging and producing hit after hit for an unending list of
unbelievably talented local singers such as Eldridge Holmes, Maurice
Williams, Betty Harris, Ernie K Doe and Diamond Joe all of whom are
featured.
New Orleans is also a city of great musical families.
Vocalist Aaron Neville was the brother of Art Neville (who formed The
Meters) and later in the 1970s joined with brother Cyril to form The
Neville Brothers. Soul vocalist supreme Willie Tee is also known as
Wilson Turbinton, who alongside brother Earl, formed the super-heavy
funk band The Gaturs and backed the Mardi Gras Indian group The Wild
Magnolias.
Also included here are rare, lost and killer soulful
tracks from New Orleans artists Eddie Bo (and protégée vocalist Inell
Young), Jean Knight, Jimmy Hicks, Francine King and more!"

7 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6HHJYEKURH
Thanks KC
I will always d/l another NO comp...even if I have most of the tracks...( here there are more I don't have) ,,, Cheers
I agree with GuitarGus. Thanks for posting.
Love It! I had almost none of this stuff. More Like this Please!
I could have sworn I already had this one but apparently not. Many thanks, KC.
Thanks for posting this one, KC. I just had a chance to listen to it. There is a lot of fine and rare music here!
Hi, just managed to play the 1st few, excellent, thank you.
Is there any way to have this in FLAC at all please?
Thank you :)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.