I took these recordings from two sources: The first 22 tracks come from the 2-CD set, The Anniversary Collection, released on Chess (MCA) in 2000. The final 3 tracks come from the Hip-O-Select collection "Hoochie Coochie Man." Together they present all of Muddy Water's recordings from June, 1950 to the end of1952. The first session here marks the time when Leonard Chess finally honored Muddy's wish to allow him to record with Little Walter, and the result marked a milestone in recorded blues history. (Parkway records had already recorded the two together in 1951, but Muddy Waters was essentially confined to guitar accompaniments for contractual reasons.) Little Walter is co-featured on almost all of these tracks, although many believe that it is actually a teenage Junior Wells who takes care of the mean harp work on the last four tracks. Jimmy Rogers is also present on many songs in this collection.There are no weak tracks here (IMO), and the number of masterpieces is mind boggling: Long Distance Call, Honey Bee, Louisiana Blues, She Moves Me, Still a Fool, Too Young to Know, Standing Around Crying, Iodine in My Coffee to name a handful. I will stop here at the risk of sounding too fanatical. When it comes to Muddy Waters, I am indeed a fanatic, and these recordings are IT for me.
11 comments:
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/xeTElZ9F/file.html
Fan-freaking-tastic! Thanks, Pres!
Yeah Pres...these are true classics...Of course I have all sides in most formats...and still get a buzz everytime I play them
I particularly love Walters shout ' Oh take me wid ya man when you go ! 'in the second verse of Louisiana Blues...It always floors me !
I always find something new or something classic to enjoy whenever I visit your site. Thanks
Thanks to your fanaticism, Preslives, I'm listening to Muddy in a whole new way. I always focused on his classic "macho" Mojo era, but now i appreciate how intensley deep, personal and powerful this earlier blues work with Little Walter is. many many thanks.
-peacenik
Muddy Waters and Old School Gospel!!!??? This is Heaven! Thank you so much. Did Muddy do an acoustic version of "Catfish Blues" ("Rolling Stone")?
Good question about an acoustic version of Rolling Stone. Muddy's first recording of Rolling Stone was at a session just before the first session posted here. He was using an electric guitar, however. The version here (Still A Fool) has Little Walter on second guitar. He didn't play Catfish Blues (Rolling Stone) for his acoustic recordings for Alan Lomax in 1941-1942. It is also not on his later acoustic record for Chess: Folk Singer. It was not a track that he played often live. So I don't know.
Breezey says...Hello Preslives, the URL is gone. Please consider uploading again! Thank you!
alas the link is dead :-(
Hi, the link is no more. Please, please replace ?
thanks!
d.
That's not Little Walter, although it does look like him a little. It is New York musician Isaac Washington, and indeed the pic was taken at Muddy's appearance at Carnegie Hall, which was recorded.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.