Freddie King has always been one of my favourite Blues artists. I love all of his recordings, starting with his Federal/King classics ('Have You Ever Loved A Woman', 'Hideaway' etc) 2 albums for Atlantic/Cotillion, 3 for Leon Russell's Shelter Records and his final album 'Burglar' for RSO in 1974. He died way too early, of acute pancreatitus, on 28th December 1976 at the tender age of 42.
'Burglar' remains my favourite Freddie album as , to me, it catches his raw and gritty guitar and vocals like no previous recordings. At the time of release, critics had mixed responses...Why ?...It may be that most of the sessions were recordrd in the UK with some fine players including the great Steve Ferrone on drums and/or it was full of Funky grooves that some purists found unpalatable...Humbug !!!...
I cherish the feel of these recordings and have no reservations recommending 'Burglar' to my fellow Chitlins pals here...
Give it a spin and enjoy Freddie doing his Thing ! The track 'Sugar Sweet' was recorded in Florida and features Eric Clapton's band of the time - Full personnel is included in the scans
Tracks : 01 Pack It Up 02 My Credit Didn't Go Through 03 I Got The Same Old Blues 04 Only Getting Second Best 05 Texas Flyer 06 Pulp Wood 07 She's A Burglar 08 Sugar Sweet 09 I Had A Dream 10 Come On (Let The Good Times Roll)


13 comments:
Flac and full Scans here : https://mega.co.nz/#!SctGzR7R!39oS40CMF3jeaSI4tp-IWWsyNKjWH-Da6_retQHs79g
MP3 320 CBR anf full Scans here : http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/L8BUCiGp/file.html
Thanks, Gus. I have a ton of Freddie, but this is a new one to me. Check out his brother, Benny Turner, a fellow bluesman, and a very good bassist.
Good record. The brilliance of Freddie King's very first session for King Records in 1960 never ceases to amaze me: Have you Ever Loved a Woman, Hideaway, You've Got to Love Her With A Feeling, See See Baby all at once! Unbelievable inspiration.
A classic!
I've had this LP for a long time. It's nice to have a clean digital copy. Thanks.
Yeah you're right Pres - Freddie's output was great from his early days...I have all of these...and all the other albums mentioned in my intro (on CD & most on vinyl...including the UK 'Burglar' )..I have posted some in the past and plan to post the 2 Atlantic/Cotillion albums together...if there is any interest...???
Awesome! Love Freddie, and I don't think I've ever heard this one.
As much as I dig him, I don't have a lot of his stuff so I'd be happy to see those 2 albums.
Thanks GuitarGus!
Haven't heard this in years and years. Thanks for the post.
Whoops !!! kristophermc28 forgot I'd already posted the 2 Cotillion albums...and the Mega links are still active ! Check it here :
http://deepsouthernsoul.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/freddie-king-is-blues-master-my-feeling.html#comment-form
Also the first Shelter album...Will post the other 2 soonish...Cheers
What a great guitarist! Never heard this one though. Many thanks, GG.
Glad I checked back here. Thanks again GuitarGus!
Wonderful! Listening to it now.
Enjoying your Freddie King posts a lot. Thank you.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.