Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tyrone Davis - Home Wrecker 1974 & Love And Touch 1976

"Tyrone Davis never seems to miss – and even on an overlooked Brunswick album like this, he still sounds better than most of his contemporaries! Davis is really able to blend both deep soul roots and more sophisticated phrasing – at a level that helped transform the sound of southern soul in the 70s! Even though Tyrone himself hailed from Chicago, he has a vibe here that clearly informs new modes from singers like George McCrae, Johnny Taylor, and many others who'd move in the same direction that Davis had been handling this well for years. Arrangement and production are by the cream of the Brunswick stable – talents that include Carl Davis, Willie Henderson, Monk Higgins, and Otis Leavill – and titles include the great cut "Homewreckers", written by Sam Dees and Tyrone – plus "Was I Just A Fool", "How Could I Forget You", "It Aint' Me No More", "This Time", and "After All This Time"."  © 1996-2014, Dusty Groove, Inc.

From 1976 comes another stone-cold winner, this time a big bucks Columbia production that I must admit I don't remember. That only means that that I missed it because this is classically smooth and soulful Tyrone.  Despite the obvious echoes of the surrounding Disco age (in that suit too) I find this to be some pretty enjoyable stuff right here!!

3 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=4LDGGFWIAH-tyrone_davis_2.7z

KingCake said...

Thanks to the original uploaders - the amazing mellow on the rip of Home Wrecker, and I don't recall the second album's source.

poppachubby said...

This was one cat you introduced me to whom i fell in love with. If thesr are half ad good as "Change"... we hsve been blessed. My issue with singers of this period is the overwhelming use of disco on otherwise amazing melodies.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.