Well, I finally managed to upload this collection as promised. Thank you for your patience, Chitlin' lovers. Here are 17 tracks that duplicate and extend the previous post on Sonny Green by KC. The last track is actually an instrumental without Sonny Green, but it was released under Sonny's name as the B-side of a 45.
One night in the 90s, I somehow ended up in an L.A. club at a Sonny Green concert. He was still in full voice at the time. I hadn't heard of Sonny Green until then, and he hit me as something like a cross between Little Johnny Taylor and Syl Johnson, with a little Al Green thrown in for good measure. In other words, POTENT! I was happy that Sonny was marketing his own CDR at the time of his classic 45s. So that is what I am posting here.
I wonder if Sonny Green is still around and singing?
Enjoy!
13 comments:
http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/34795960/file.html
This is thrilling! I can't wait to hear it! As to the question re Sonny - In the course on my research it seemed to me that Sonny was still alive and singing, at least as recently as last year according to this -
http://www.peterguralnick.com/post/54998219982/guest-blog-a-word-from-mr-c-soul-is-alive-the
Thanks so much Preslives and KC!!!!
Many thanks to both Preslives and KC. Been listening to KC's soundcloud mix and loving it. This will enable me to enjoy it through my stereo system. FYI - I found an album from 2007 by Ray Brooks and Sonny Green - Live. Not sure if its the same Sonny Green.
Thanks for this wild and rare ride!
Wow, thanks Preslives, this is fantastic. Made an old soul buff quite tearful, wandering around in soul heaven.
Thank you Preslives and KC.
More previously untasted ear food.
Big THANKS to Preslives and KC for turning me on to Sonny Green!!!!
This blog rules.
GREAT stuff! Thanx a bunch
Thanks KC and Pres! Looking forward to this.
Listening to Sonny Green at this moment and thoroughly enjoying your collection of 45's. Thank you for the introduction.
Please can you be so kind and re-up?
You're probably fully aware that Sonny's got a new album called Found! One Soul Singer on Little Village Foundation label, released 9/10/20. Recorded at the ripe young age of 79 at Kid Andersen's Greaseland Studios in San Jose, CA. He sounds like a true veteran soul belter. Hope he enjoys a helping of mainstream success and recognition with this and any follow-up recording he's inspired to pursue. Give him his flowers while he's alive and well!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.