Sunday, June 1, 2014

Legends of Coutry Blues - The Rest

I'm cleaning out my upload cue and that may well be it for this place for a little while - I'm not feeling it lately and there has to be better things to do with my time -

To the 10 or so of you who actually participate here, I apologize, it isn't any of you, I just don't see the point right now. 

I'll be back and recharged after a bit.
 




19 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8NCYG0OYCC-bukka_white.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0ZDCKGFWMJ-tommy_johnson.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0YYIJFWGAE-ishman_bracey.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=3LOUIUYQFZ-great_day_(the_riverside_years_1962-1964).rar

Anonymous said...

Please keep going-your work and comments ARE appreciated!

ceedee said...

Hope it goes without saying that this is seriously bad news though I can understand why. It's mystifying why it's got so quiet here of late. If this is the end you'll be missed KC and Sundays won't quite be the same again. Thanks for all the many hours of listening pleasure.

pmac said...

Ditto what ceedee stated. If I can assist in anyway, will be more than willing to do so.

Pippo said...

That made definitely my Sunday an ugly one, just don't please.

poppachubby said...

KC I know exactly where ur at. For me, the spare time just doesn't add up anymore. I don't think people alot of people realise whats involved to make a great vinyl rip and then share it. I think you should go private and keep the obvious bunch of regulars in the loop. Focus on your mixes and use the blog as a place to offer DLs of the tracks. Frankly u deserve it. All the years of gathering music - I know for me theres so much I haven't listened to.

I find the mixes are a logical extension of listening to my collection. I think u'll be properly motivated to share the tracks - besides, they're all gathered in one place as you make the mix... may as well.

Whatever you decide I am with you for the ride...

Feilimid O'Broin said...

What has been so frustrating about contending with health issues is not being able to regularly comment. That being said, I don't understand why folks freely download but don't bother to acknowledge, at a minimum, why they are downloading the particular music provided. How much effort does it take to write, "I really like this posting because ..." If nothing else my comments have consistently proven that you don't have to be a musician or an expert, or even minimally knowledgeable to participate, you can just express what the music means in your gut and, what the hell, risk being embarrassed by your ignorance or buffoonery. I sometimes figured that if I dared tread in the water and displayed all my shortcomings in knowledge of music history and structure, others would see that the requirements for comments were not especially taxing and also contribute. What the hell, we're anonymous and can rationalize any criticism is directed at our doppelgangers, not us.

I have learned a great deal and grown immensely in my music tastes from visiting this and the other associated blogs. I can well understand the frustration and disillusionment you experience from expending so much time and effort and garnering so little response because I have been intensely frustrated by my own limited activity of late and worried that my silence would reflect disinterest or taking it all for granted.

All that being said, thanks to you, Grumpy, Poppachubby, Peer, Guitar Gus, patsoul, and all of the others like Lazz, ceedee, and pmac, who have been so willing to share your and their collections, memories, and knowledge in cyberspace. I will miss this community for the intelligence of its discussions and humor We too often don't appreciate what we have until it's gone. Talk about Sunday morning coming down, but why beat your head against the wall if your efforts don't elicit the responses they should? After all, how many times have you articulated your frustration? I know it's what got me off my butt to write and I thank you for forcing me to contribute.

Le Roi n'est pas mort, vive le Roi. I wish you and all who have enriched my musical experiences and knowledge the very best. A thousand thanks for it all; you will be missed.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Almost forgot, thanks so much for Tommy Johnson and the Staples Singers, as well as Bukka White. I'll miss this classy joint and all of the artists who performed in it. Percy Mayfield, Geater Davis, James Carr, Marva, the list extends almost forever of the people whose music I discovered here. Best of all, you've been recently posting the blues artists that I love the most and I'll leave with a big "Go raibh mille maith agat" because of the joy that the music will provide me as soon as it downloads.

GuitarGus said...

KC This place just has to exist - Take the pressure and disappointment away by only posting a few albums a week - Part of the problem is the amount of blogs out there and the massive selection of music available ...Slow the posts down - take a well earned rest and get back to listening ...but no way can you cease...your enthusiasm will return !...this is home for many of us...and I have enjoyed the contact with several good invisible friends due to its existence

codeg said...

KC, I feel guilty for not showing more appreciation (with comments and so on) for your work with this fantastic blog and probably there are other people like me who should have been more active. But we truly like what you do. This blog is unique. I have learned so much, especially on the gospel side. Please don't stop. You could post less frequently, but please don't shut the blog!

Anonymous said...

first of all i'd like to thank you for all of your great work, kc, it's a ton of work ripping, scanning, writing & posting. and it's much appreciated.
let me tell you something, as a former high school teacher. it used to drive my crazy that day after day, year after year, i could only get, at best, 3 to 5 students in each class involved in any sort of class discussion. and this was history, the most exciting subject outside of music! ;-)
weird thing is, former students will run into me around town and thank me for such an interesting class, they remember a certain project etc. And these ones who barely participated, who spent more time writing love letters than doing their homework.

you can see where i'm going with this. you - kc - are the maestro here. you're teaching us, changing our (musical) lives and keeping forgotten music alive. but you're never going to recieve 100% participation.

a few folks are right there with you, discussing it as it happens. Some may actually not listen to what they downloaded until maybe a week or two later - and by then you and the discussion have moved on, and it seems too late to add anything (i'm guilty of that one...). some don't consider themselves expert enough to comment (i'm often in that group too). others may not realize how much you've impacted them until years later.
and yes, a small percentage of folks are just plain greedy and will never comment. but better to have a small, active group than a bunch of a**hole trolls, right? in the end you're changing lives of everyone who visits for the better. how cool is that?

I think slowing the posts down may help you and spark more discussion. Whatever you decide, thank you for everything. And to grumpy, chris, poppachubby and all who contribute. between chitlins and the crypt, my mind has been blown too many times to count, and my life deeply enriched.
-john ("peacenik")

PS while i'm in my bully pulpit, i would also like to thank poppachubby, gus and peer57 for their posts at the cult. they don't allow anonymous commenting and i'm too lazy to get a gmail or similar acct, but I very much appreciate their shares.

River City Slim said...

I'm sorry that I haven't 'participated', but I rarely have anything more to say about the music than has already been said. That doesn't mean I don't think that this is without a doubt the best music site anywhere, or that this isn't the greatest music in the world; just that I would feel stupid posting nothing but thank you notes. I deeply appreciate what you've done here and will miss it greatly if it ceases to exist. And I don't depend solely on the downloads; whenever something comes along that really turns me on that is readily available, I go and buy the CDs. But if it wasn't for finding them here I might never know about them. Whichever way it ends up, please don't feel un-appreciated. I for one am forever indebted to you and your musical efforts.

--RCS

stringbass said...

well please accept my thanks for all the wonderful music you have shared and introduced to many people ; you are important in a media world

devoid of interest in music of many genre , ignored as if never existing by radio and written about very occasionally by individuals who have little or

no knowledge or passion for gospel, blues, ryhthm and blues, etc....without people like yourself the music world is a much smaller place.

Please continue to spread the true message.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog a couple weeks ago, KC, and was immediately amazed at the quality of the music and the depth of the discussion, to which I'd not have had much to add except maybe a "that's cool," or two, not being much of an expert or even knowing why I might like a certain piece of music or performer. All I now is that I do like it and you've created one of the better music blogs I've ever seen. I also can see why you may burn out on doing it without much feedback, so if you do slow down or stop alltogether, thanks for everything, especially Professor Longhair, James Booker, Wynona Carr, Eddie Floyd, Darrel Banks, and Cookie & The Cupcakes! Take care and be cool.

GuitarGus said...

Thanks to the guys that have made some great honest and insightful perspectives here...since my last comment...KC is a sentimental and giving soul...and I know he will be appreciative of your comments...as I am (being a privileged now-and-then contributor here)... Less posts..awaiting more comments is the way forward...And please...even if it's shit...please make the effort to say SOMETHING !

Anonymous said...

KC, I realize I'm part of the problem. I am not much of a writer and apologize for that. Please know that your work here (music and writing) is very much appreciated. This has to be my favorite place on the internet and it will surely be a sad day if it dies. I completely understand if you don't want to do this anymore though.

Thanks for everything. You have opened my ears to many new sounds. My thanks to all of the other generous contributors as well.

g said...

Hello to the King and his Court (and coming from an Irish background - it says a lot for me to address anybody as King!!!) - and I want to say, as I always have made the point, a good percentage of the time one is able to get as much from your writing as one does with the music. I also have to say that I agree, to a small point, with what Feilimid has pointed out. I have been under the weather since 2/1 - and w/out the use of a computer, for the most part, until the past 2 weeks or so - - aside from taking hours to clean up e-mails and the clean up more of them and then get down to a few more hundred to cleanout - - have been taking care of this and that - and this morning I told myself I have to get back to class and see what new artists I will read of and about at D...S....S...U. It's very understandable that you can get frustrated, to say the least, about the lack of participation. I am amazed - and have been since I got turned onto an other site where I can read lessons from The King (used the term again!) - and that's a few years before you started teaching your Master's Class in Bluesology. Whatever happens - thank you for your time, your research, your effort and most importanly your sharing your knowledge. As an example - when I am listening to O.V Wright - thanks to your work......when I am able to listen to more Percy Mayfield that I knew existed - again Thanks. If somebody wants to know who or what a "Mardi Gras Indian" was and is (and this happened during my hospitalization) I directed them to check out your site - they did and thanked me for letting me know about your site.
Hope all are well and it's great to be able to visit this site - again...and again
All the best
g

Anonymous said...

This site and the associated rooms are true treasure. I consider myself a music junkie- having done radio for 20 years, but I have learned so much here.Thank you for sharing your time and wealth of knowledge with those of us that do not post much. -CW crispy critter

the doc said...

I'm around and, although I've hardly been able to listen for months, still true to wander by every week for a look-see. Thanks for all you've done. It is much appreciated. I've got to take time when I can to copy all my CDs to lossless files before they disintegrate and I can't even get time for that!! Of course it is 105º (41ºC) here so I don't feel like doing anything except lie around in the pool!! I hope to see you back sometime. I'll be around somewhere.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.