Anticipation (1976) was the album Willie considered his masterwork, the full LP at United Artists that was sure to hit, it didn't. With the Gaturs supplemented by fabulous musicians like David T Walker, Lee Ritenour and Julis Farmer just to name a few, and Skip Drinkwater production, the project was clearly targeted to be mainstream. I think it is a pretty strong album, but it just never caught the public ear.The second album here is a jazz project with brother Earl Turbinton from 1988. Willie plays some really serious piano on this date. Astral Project's Jim Singleton is on bass.
"Alto saxophonist Earl Turbinton and keyboardist Willie Tee moved into more adventurous territory than usual on this 1988 date. While each was an experienced blues and R&B stylist, they had also maintained active jazz ties since the '50s, although they'd only shown it in New Orleans clubs. They cut loose often here, notably on the rousing "Neferdoris" and first-rate cover of Thelonious Monk's "Think of One." Turbinton's sassy, fiery alto and Tee's lowdown, wide-ranging, expressive piano solos are the highlight, while bassist James Singleton, drummer David Lee, Jr., and percussionist Curtis Pierre add vital support and color, as does guest pianist Wess Anderson on "Think of One" and "Neferdoris." ~ Ron Wynn, All Music Guide
I guess we will have to assume that Mr. Wynn can't tell the difference between a soprano sax and an alto.

6 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=4KMIMVEODJ-anticipation_(1976).rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6BKGQ2ZYEI-brothers_for_life.rar
Brothers for Life is a damn fine album. One of my all time favorites. Can't wait to hear the other Willie Tee d/l.
Thanks, KC.
I look forward to drinking these up just as soon as I get my computer fixed.
(Disaster happened last year, too, I recall, around the same approach to Christmas - bah, humbug)
From discovery to discovery ! Many thanks, KC
Thanks KC. Anticipation is fascinating, I enjoyed it but it is only half great (!).Everything is beautifully done but some of the material just isn't up to it. Better than most though.
Been looking for "Anticipation" for a long time. It's a lost gem of a New Orleans legend. Thanks King Cake!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.