
"Not long before he died, Odom made the album of his life with a combo called the Gold Tops, who provided precisely the right backing to properly spotlight his booming voice. A few overdone standards -- "Rock Me Baby," "Woke Up This Morning," "Next Time You See Me" -- intrude a bit, but Odom's own "Bad Feelin'," "Why Did You Leave Me," and "Come to Me" make impassioned amends. Steve Freund, best-known for his long stint with Sunnyland Slim, contributes stellar lead guitar." Bill Dahl

11 comments:
Thanks so much for Mr. Odom. What I love about this blog is its exposure of artists about whom I was largely unaware. I have read about some of them but lack of funds and radio forums from which to hear their music makes this blog indispensable for its willingness to fill in those gaping holes in my knowledge. I suspect it does the same for at least a few others.
When I traveled home for two weeks, it was a deep pleasure to hear so many of the genres I love on the radio because there are still so many college and smaller stations there that explore and venture farther than the commercial stations. Talk and news shows dominate radio where I now live.
On the Cape, a friend and I were discussing music. I had just given him twenty discs that included Eric Bibb, Otis Taylor, and O.V. Wright. In response to his "have you heard" questions, I was able to respond, "Yes, I own this or that." Hours later he blurted, "These aren't even well-known artists and you have them all?" I replied that although I own a large number of compact discs, I owe much of my recent collection and knowledge to blogs such as this. The "underground" radio stations that he and I listened to in our youth are now gone or play restricted formats. Years ago that same friend and I were at a small club in Hartford. The band was solid but was playing pop and disco. It was still the age of leisure suits and polyester. At the first break we asked the band if it knew any blues. The leader said, "Do we? Hell, yeah, but no one asks for it anymore." We replied, "We're asking for it" They dedicated the rest of the night to the blues. They were one of those local bands of unknown musicians who can mightily crank it when the crowd is tight. Thirty years later, as men approaching our seventh decades, we still refer to that stint as the night we commandeered the band. Family, bills, and other responsibilities now limit our chances to see live music or takes risks with our budgets to buy a lot of music just to check it out. Consequently, I think we are so fortunate to have this blog and its cousins, and the written work of and music of all other contributors to keep some of us from becoming so stale or limited in our tastes. Oh yeah, I should mention that Odom is wonderful, but that O. V. Wright live recording still sent shivers up my spine.
By the way, Mr. King Cake, much thanks for the book list. Thanks to another knowledgeable contributor here who introduced me to the wonders of a Kindle and the sellers of used books on Amazon, I now have most of them and am making my way through them. They are exactly what I was seeking when I asked if you could recommend any books. Better yet, they prevent me from waking up more ignorant in the morning because I was able to spend hours with them late at night or in the small hours of the night. They form one of the many pleasures of retirement.
Thanks KC
Just as I requested - Getting to really like this guy - Only ever had the Sing album in the past which got lost in my files
Cheers
Thanks much. Have not had a chance to listen to the earlier Odom posts yet but...
Hello, it would be wonderful to hear some Andrew 'Big Voice' Odum once again! TY! Breezey
Please consider this post to listen to one more time! TYVM!!! Breezey
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2ZMYVWEHQC
And again I thank you..
Wayne
Hi, KingCake. Thank you for posting Mr. Odom's music. I've been hoping it would pop up somewhere. What a wonderful way to start the new year. May you have a great year with continued generosity toward those of us poor souls who lurk at your bountiful, beautiful blog. Have a good year, and accept our gratitude, KingCake.
I know, it's late, but here are some hi-res scans to this one:
http://bdupload.net/u0fn98rzjr62
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.