Monday, January 11, 2016

People Get Ready

Another repost for the LOL.

Good morning my brothers and sisters, Church is once again in session and while  Deacon KC is doing his own introspective examination of the sources of his unseemly show of anger, still I return to my Sunday morning duties.

Here is another volume in this eminently listenable collection of classic Gospel. Great stuff if you aren't really all about having a collection or if you are just starting to get into it. Even those who have much of this material may want to grab it for the great sound and the appealing sequencing. If YOUR town had a radio station that played killer Gospel on Sunday mornings, you sure as... wouldn't be complaining about THIS show! Anyone on the fence just dl, and advance to track 8 -- if that don't work for ya, then walk on by my brother.

Peace be with you.

7 comments:

ceedee said...

Thanks KC. It'll be interesting to see the reactions to this collection of mainly modern gospel. I've been listening to my own little Nashboro comp this morning - Troy Ramey, Tommy Ellison, Howard Slim Hunt, Willie Neal Johnson etc. - and when I got to the Soul Searchers' 'It's Jesus Y'All' I remembered Heilbut using the very same track to illustrate his point about the degeneration of real gospel music.

Decades on again it sounds fine to me. In fact the Supreme Angels' 'God Is Real' or the Keynotes' 'That's My Son' could just about get me saved all over again if I wasn't careful. So how do folks compare the contemporary roaring of Robert Blair with the glorious roar of Ruth Davis? Do the instruments matter? Is the music less spirit-filled now or does it just need for us to get some distance before we can appreciate the newer stuff properly? (Then again 'In A Beautiful World' does sound like a step way too far for me...)

ceedee said...

I'd meant to say - what a beauty 'One Day I As Was Walking Home' is and how white is the choir behind Mahalia on 'Hands Of God'?

KingCake said...

There were many times when Columbia went horribly wrong with Mahalia, I still cringe at the very thought of Mother singing 'Danny Boy'. Fortunately they didn't always make a mess of it so there is good stuff too - all the Columbia compilations I have, however, find it necessary to include a generous sprinkling of the crapola - I'm preferring poppachubby's actual albums which allow you to sidestep those steaming piles.

As to the other point, I happened to catch a fair portion of the Gospel living legends special that Malaco produced in the wee hours this morning - I found Bob Jones to be a bit smarmy but the thing that resonated throughout the hour and a half that I caught was the rapport and respect between the different generations there - a Kurt Franklin worshipfully telling Inez Andrews that he recognizes the great honor and responsibilities of standing on her shoulders "You did this stuff when it didn't even earn you popularity or financial reward." - the pure awe in the younger faces as Ira Tucker lead off and all those incredible singers called the response....it gave me shivers and had tears rolling down my cheeks. Many thought the instrumentation that Don Robey introduced behind his gospel records was surely the END, then when the Violinaires took it even further, surely THAT was the devil's influence, then there was Shirley Caesar's Mowtown Gospel - at the end of the day Gospel survives and time makes these 'revolutions' seem less revolutionary

flatspin said...

Quality selections but I can't go past The Highway QC's "Walk With Me'" for catchy appeal! Thanks.

Pippo said...

Thank you KingCake, the all Gospel series is absolutely great !

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6GBOVMGCGR

Anonymous said...

Is it Christmas again ?

Wayne

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.