Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sister Wynona Carr - Dragnet For Jesus

It is Easter Sunday and once again the organ swells in the background signifyin' another Gospel Sunday here on the Chitlin Circuit.

"Wynona Carr (August 23, 1924 – May 12, 1976) was an African-American gospel, R&B and rock and roll singer-songwriter, who recorded as Sister Wynona Carr when performing gospel material.

Wynona Merceris Carr was born in Cleveland, Ohio, where she started out as a gospel singer, forming her own five-piece group The Carr Singers around 1945 and touring the Cleveland/Detroit area. Being tipped by The Pilgrim Travelers, who shared a bill with Carr in the late 1940s, Art Rupe signed her to his Specialty label, giving Carr her new stage name "Sister" Wynona Carr (modelled after pioneering gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe) and cutting some twenty sides with her from 1949 to 1954, including a couple of duets with Specialty's biggest gospel star at the time, Brother Joe May."

As complete a bio-page as you could want can be found HERE.

8 comments:

poppachubby said...

Is it blasphemy if I thank Jesus for Mega?? 1.7mb/sec is a damn miracle imo. Thanks for this KC, will have it playing in a few minutes.

poppachubby said...

This is a truly fantastic album KC. I love the swingin accompaniment. Gospel is without a doubt something I would not have explored without your inspiration. I have always loved The Staple Singers, but never explored beyond that. Turns out there's so much of it that I really love.

RickB said...

Thank Jesus for Sister Wynona Carr! And Mega, too. Truly legendary sides here that I had long ago and am grateful to find them again. I had no idea she had done secular music, so am looking forward to hearing that as well. Cheers and happy Sunday!

Brush&Stick said...

Thanks so much for more great Gospel from the Specialty label!

codeg said...

Your blog is really the best KC! Thanks especially for the gospel. Would you be available to reup some of the links that are dead? Like Over in Glory:Favorites from Classic Gospel Groups, Soul Stirrers (Heaven is my Home), Dixie Hummingbirds (Journey to Stay) and Swan Silvertones (Heavenly Light).
Many thanks in advance

flatspin said...

Sister Wynona Carr was great on the swinging uptempo numbers. And really enjoyed the cleverly topical 'Dragnet for Jesus'! Thanks.

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1NLUY3KTVW

KingCake said...

Forgot that I had posted this and re-uped the links, so....

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.