Saturday, February 1, 2014

Eubie Blake - The Eighty-Six Years Of Eubie Blake

A repost request -- 

I just did a rip of this double LP for Cliff and since it fits in with our current old piano guys theme, I thought I'd pass it along. I acknowledge that I had seen, but passed on this album for most of my adult life. It was a pleasant surprise - blues, jazz, boogie, are all mixed in with the ragtime and old theater tunes you might expect. Blake's career spanned a giant segment of the development of popular American music and by the time this was recorded he was a walking encyclopedia.

His bio is far too long and extensive to reproduce here, it is easy enough to find on the web - btw the rip is in FLAC.

7 comments:

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC
I was made aware of EB due to a wonderful cover of his 'Memories Of You' by Mingus and have since collected anything I find of his on the net...
For those who would like to hear the CM tribute here is the album 'East Coasting'
Flac :
https://mega.co.nz/#!rMECFJgZ!AMRcq0X4e8lqhO7DBtBxpCqO4ctFjbIVesnthCg9PdE

Or here :
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/35663348/file.html

http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/81424795/file.html

Mutha Klanger said...

nice one KC, thanks. I guess we've all slept on some artists or genres over the years until one day a light goes on in our heads (or ears?)...I know I have :-) this is where blogs like The Crypt are so helpful for giving us a kick in some new or previously-ignored direction.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Just superb. Much thanks. Like many artists of his time, Eubie Blake defied categorization,which usually benefited record companies who sought to restrict black artists to the music white executives and producers thought would sell best and ignored their proficiency in other genres. Your entire piano series from Carr to Blake is a joy to hear and is why, for me, this blog requires a daily visit. It and the other blogs are why I am taking on the erratic functioning of Google Chrome.

flatspin said...

Eubie Blake gives a fascinating and entertaining history lesson on the piano. Thanks.

Paul Howe said...

The files seem to be gone...any chance of a re-up, please?

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1QJRN5HBJ4-eubie_blake2.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8JHZJYMJWF-eubie_blake1.rar

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks so much for the re-up!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.