Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Other Anthology of American Folk Music

In response to the Harry Smith collection for Folkways/Smithsonian, a disappointingly anonymous human being out there somewhere on the interweb collated and produced "The Other Anthology" from other deserving tracks that didn't make the pick for Smith - mainly alternate material from the same artists: the Memphis Jug Band,  Bascom Lamar Lundsford, Blind Willie Johnson, Charlie Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Dock Boggs.....  98 tracks in all - some of which, like the Harry Smith pick, unavoidably duplicates some of the recent monster Paramount boxed-sets.

There is no booklet and no notes and no credits for this internet production.

Well-deserved appreciation for whoever painstakingly put this together in the first place, and big thanks to whoever shared it on whatever site I downloaded it from.

10 comments:

LAZZ said...

Disc 1 - https://mega.nz/#!udhCGDLY!LjLUIpCH0UwNYVsIXtq8WcXkNVww7dPhrpgaWI42xfw

Disc 2 - https://mega.nz/#!2FAAEI5Y!pAElhxTw0PiVDwostRhNt9tAiA7PmzfVceTUV_iHnDM

Disc 3 - https://mega.nz/#!3IBx0bLa!dny4YZQWdOGuqh7ZufbKgMat41fPV0o_LCufFoarQjc

Disc 4 - https://mega.nz/#!GJRQDTZS!yuXxmp5pOBWIH8O4zn70IESTmpgD7tSSHOTsjrP456A

rhythmnow said...

The Other Anthology is pretty fabulous! Would it be possible to put up the song list?

LAZZ said...

It is certainly possible - but I have little desire to engage in all that list-copying tap-tapping on keyboard, personally. Hope you understand.

Maybe you'd like to do it for us?
Download files and get typing!

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Many, many thanks for this one, Lazz. I have some serious catching up on the past two months' posts and then have to mozy on over to the swamps of Blue Hell to pay respects to Lou Cypher and the Blue Devil. I hope they and le Roi won't mind the belated comments of appreciation. It's been a tough season for the chest bellows, arthritis, and steroid-induced diabetes, and, to think, we now have a fearless leader a la Rocky and Bullwinkle who regards climate change as an anti-capitalist campaign designed to adversely effect our national well-being. Rough times are ahead since the docs have already informed me that climate change already done did me wrong these past few years and will continue to do so. This folk collection and the blues and soul should help me weather the storm! I'll have to listen to Cassandra Wilson's version of Shelter From The Storm to steel my political nerves from here on out.

Dr. J said...

Go here for more infomation...http://rateyourmusic.com/classifiers/The+Other+Anthology+of+American+Folk+Music/

rhythmnow said...

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to copy it - I just thought that there might be a ;list one already on the web. I'd do it, but I don't know most of the performers.

LAZZ said...

No sweat, rhythmnow - I wanted to provide a track-list, honest I did - it's an accepted respected and appreciated mutual standard - but I looked at the work involved, felt daunted, became overwhelmed by laziness, had a quick scope around on the web for a quick cut-and-paste alternative, failed, and energetically gave up.

What a sad and useless bastard.

RickB said...

As always...thank you for sharing some of the coolest darn music on the planet. Much gratitude.

finvarra said...

I downloaded a version of this years ago - and still have the artwork. See if it matches yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dx7xme4xelbsurb/AACozuWPRpdBLEvBtxret8mWa?dl=0

LAZZ said...

Thanks, finvarra.
That does the job perfectly.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.