By request:
In earlier posts we looked at some of the pioneering R&B recordings coming out of New Orleans in the late 40's. The success of that material began to attract labels like Mercury to come down and record some for themselves, a repeated theme in the cycles of New Orleans popularity.
For whatever the reason may be, these recording are some of the most neglected of the major label recordings made here. This magnificent Bear Family set is an expansion of their earlier 2 lp set, with the second disc representing material that has not seen the light of day since I was a baby. I wish I had a way to give you the enclosed book with it but at 96 pages, I was not doing all them scans!
One of the real treasures here are the large number of tracks from the forgotten lady blues shouter Miss Lollipop but there are also 13 rare Professor Longhair tracks and some Gospel from the Silvertone Singers. All great stuff that even collectors likely did not have in full.


3 comments:
Thanks KC
I love these historical collections of known and forgotten artists, especially from New Orleans !
Cheers
Those rare Professor Longhair tracks are exciting finds. Kind of raw recordings of the Silvertone Singers but highly enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks.
http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/YkNxOu77/file.html
http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/5DyeKTj7/file.html
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.