Friday, October 14, 2016

Baby Washington and The Hearts - The J & S Years

Justine Washington (born November 13, 1940), usually credited as Baby Washington, but credited on some early records as Jeanette (Baby) Washington, is an American soul music vocalist, who had 16 rhythm and blues chart entries in 15 years, most of them during the 1960s. Her biggest hit, "That's How Heartaches Are Made" in 1963, also entered the US top 40.

Washington was born in Bamberg, South Carolina, and raised in Harlem, New York. In 1956, she joined the vocal group The Hearts, and also recorded for J & S Records as a member of The Jaynetts ("I Wanted To Be Free" / "Where Are You Tonight", J&S 1765/6). She first recorded solo, as Baby Washington, in 1957, on "Everyday" (J&S 1665).

In 1958 she signed to Donald Shaw's Neptune Records as a solo performer, and established herself as a soul singer with two hits in 1959: "The Time" (U.S. R&B #22) and "The Bells" (U.S. R&B # 20). She followed up with the hit "Nobody Cares" (U.S. R&B # 17) in 1961. Several of her singles on the Neptune and ABC labels were credited to Jeanette (Baby) Washington, which later led to confusion with an entirely different singer known as Jeanette Washington.

She signed with ABC Paramount in 1961, but her two releases for the label were not hits, although the self-written "Let Love Go By" later became a notable Northern Soul single. Washington then moved to Juggy Murray's Sue Records in 1962, scoring her only entry on the U.S. Billboard Top 40 with "That's How Heartaches Are Made" in 1963. Two years later, she hit again on the U.S. R&B Top 10 with "Only Those In Love". Among her other Sue recordings were "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face", co-written by Chip Taylor and Jerry Ragovoy, and "Careless Hands", penned by Billy Myles.

Washington revived her career in the early 1970s covering The Marvelettes' "Forever", (# 30 R&B) as a duet with Don Gardner. Her solo release, "I've Got To Break Away", made number 73 on the R&B charts, after which the advent of disco led to a decline in her popularity. She has never experienced great crossover recognition, although Dusty Springfield once cited Washington as her all-time favorite singer and recorded "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face".

Washington is still active as a live performer, appearing several times a year on the East Coast and performing on cruise ships. She also performed at the Prestatyn Soul Weekender festival in Wales in 2004. She performed with the Enchanters at a Philadelphia-area show in March 2008, and in Baltimore in June 2008. Washington was among the 2008 honorees in Community Works' Ladies Singing the Blues music series. wikipedia

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for It!
I only had "The Sue Singles"
Before.
Serge

Anonymous said...

Baby Washington could have make it, yet, Anniewhere, even in Italy!
PS: Is there a link? I'dLike that!
Serge

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Fanatastic. She must have been great to see in concert back in the day.

Anonymous said...

Ah, mercy beaucoup pour le lien!
Au risque de surprendre et choquer à mon tour... Franchement, je n'en ai pas grand-chose à foutre, ces temps-ci, de Jésus, de l'Eglise et etc etc etc
Foi en
Autre Chose...!
Serge

Anonymous said...

the links are all not working please tahnk you

KingCake said...

http://www105.zippyshare.com/v/iHYPD9Np/file.html

musicyoucan said...

Hi,
The photo on top of your web site (The bluesman sit down on his guitar) is the best photo on blues I never seen. I connect on your web site each day from a while to look at this marvellous black & white photo.
Thanks a lot for your site
Regards
musicyoucan

LAZZ said...

I downloaded it from you in the past sometime.
Loved it then - love it now.
Solid.

Johnnyfive said...

Awesome

Anonymous said...

This is a great collection. Any chance of a re-up? Many thanks in advance. :)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.