In the shadow of the furor over 'Hoo Doo Man Blues' this album gets overlooked and at times outright disrespected. I'm pretty sure it was my fist Junior/Buddy vinyl so you will have to excuse my personal prejudice. I'll always love it.
The album is admittedly a schizophrenic mix of live and studio material and bands...I still wouldn't skip it. It's was a frequent late night choice. When others would play Lee Michaels' 'Stormy Monday' at me, this version was my response.

9 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=85LQCZHMKF
It was the first Junior Wells CD I bought, and it's still is a favorite of mine.
Oops! Sorry for the mispelling. The devil made me do it! lol
Yea, there is some really fine Junior Wells on this one.
Some of the best Buddy Guy ever recorded on the live tracks IMHO!
Thank you for another great album.
Wayne
Wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments here. This LP would have to be my favorite Wells/Guy album. The live at Peppers tracks with the background chatter and clinking glasses have a wonderful atmosphere. Junior is in fine form on all tracks, whether live or studio, he was at the peak of his powers at this time. And Buddy shows himself to be a superb band guitarist. I far prefer to listen to Buddy Guy's tight and restrained playing here than any of his later excessive & flashy recordings.
Thanks, unknown to me.
The positive comments and that great rendition of Stormy Monday convinced me to get this one - glad I did. Great stuff. Thanks.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.