Sunday, October 25, 2015

Esquerita - All the Voola


I think it is time for a re-working of this post. There is a considerable amount of added material.

 Ahh, the sad story of Steven Q. Reeder, "but for chance there go I". One of the creative influences behind what makes Little Richard a star but when Richard uses Esquerita's style at The Dew Drop Inn and blows Bumps Blackwell's mind, he may have doomed his buddy to obscurity and an ugly death. Little Richard's New Orleans sessions are so huge and so national that when the guy who actually invented the whole schtick finally gets recorded he is dismissed by an understandably ignorant public as an imitator. No matter that he is a far superior pianist (I give Richard the clear singing edge), the world seemingly has room for only one. This post has been reworked to include all but a tiny handful of stray tracks - this is All The Voola.
Born in Greenville, S.C., in 1935, Steven Quincy Reeder began calling himself "Eskew" after his initials – S.Q. Later, of course, the name became Esquerita, then went back to Eskew. (Little Richard claimed his predecessor liked to point out how his nickname sounded like "excreta.") An early performing career with a gospel group known as the Heavenly Echoes soon led, in a roundabout fashion, to the singer's outrageous nightclub act.

" With his flamboyant makeup, sculpted pompadour, assaultive piano playing and glass-busting trills, Little Richard is invariably described as a rock 'n' roll nonpareil. But Richard himself has often acknowledged that his persona has a lot to do with one of the true unsung heroes of rock – a forgotten wildman who answered to the stage name Esquerita.

Appropriately enough, they met in a Greyhound bus station in Macon, Ga., late one night, when the only people around were the prowlers "trying to catch something – you know, have sex," as Richard Penniman explained in his biography 'The Life and Times of Little Richard.' Eskew Reeder, as the man was then known, had the biggest hands Richard had ever seen. He performed, apparently, with an evangelist named Sister Rosa and an undersized singer appropriately called Shorty. When Richard asked this brother from another planet if he would teach him how to pound the piano, Reeder happily obliged.  

People are largely unaware that when those iconic Specialty recordings were made in New Orleans, Richard was not a piano player. (Fats Domino is amongst those thought possible to have played on the sessions.) His piano teachers were Reeder and "..a guy named James (Booker)." There was some period when Reeder toured with Richard as his piano player. It has never been clear to me when that was, or how it was they both ended up in New Orleans at the same time, and why Reeder stayed behind.

Though Little Richard would later claim he gave Esquerita the idea for his gigantic bouffant, (other parts of the story would seem to belie this) that's the only mention of Richard's mentor in the biography. To this day, little is known of Esquerita, whose sole album, released in 1959, was mistakenly seen as little more than a Little Richard copycat job.


"Professor" Eskew Reeder was discovered playing a Greenville barroom called the Owl Club by Paul Peek, guitarist for Gene Vincent's rockabilly backing band, the Blue Caps. Peek introduced the free spirit with the rhinestone wraparound shades to talent scouts at Capitol Records, who had signed Gene Vincent as the label's answer to Elvis. Here was the label's answer to Little Richard.

Later, Reeder would scuffle his way through the '60s, reportedly gigging with the future Dr. John and a young Jimi Hendrix – and cutting a few sessions with a grateful Little Richard. He recorded some songs for Motown, never released. He began changing his stage name – Voola, the Magnificent Malochi – to no avail.

By the '70s, he was playing seedy gigs in back-alley gay bars in New York, billed as Fabulash. A decade after that, he was reduced to begging for change as a squeegee man. Esquerita died of complications from AIDS in New York in 1986, at age 52.

Sadly, his one Capitol album, despite a fantastic, iconic cover image of the singer with his wig piled high and a collection of raucous bawlers inside, came across as one too many Little Richards for the world to handle. Ironically, it was only when an unproven Richard had stretched out his Esquerita muscle on a previously lackluster session in New Orleans that he found his own voice as early rock 'n' roll's most thrilling loony tune.

The first part of this bonanza will take you to Blue Dragon who recently posted the first chapter of this musical story (click the blog name). The subsequent material, mostly recorded here in New Orleans, is in the normal place.

21 comments:

Feilimid O'Broin said...

The music is wonderful and highlights the point you have been making in several posts regarding those unacknowledged or unknown artists who influenced Little Richard. I had never hear of or listened to Esquerita before, and the extent to which Little Richard appears to have borrowed stylistically from him is amazing. Not only should he have been a contender but he should have been a champion!!! Thank you for sharing so much great music in this blog.

KingCake said...

Yeah, the man's talent deserved a better fate, glad you are enjoying the blog. With these early R&B pioneers it was much like in Jazz, far more talented people than there are places in the spotlight, little breaks often make the difference.

KingCake said...

One of the interesting things about this particular lineage of R&B guys is that this school finds it's ultimate expression not in another gay guy but in Godfather of Soul James Brown! Listen carefully to these three guys then to the early JB when I present it and you will see he isn't really possible without them. Or Prince even later.

deGallo said...

Thank you for the introduction. Very interesting story.

Moe said...

I really like this. Thanks. The back story is also very interesting.

ceedee said...

Fantastic. Many thanks KC, it's appreciated.

Preslives said...

Esquerita was quite a character, and had talent. I have never been much of a fan, however, due to the fact that I can't get with the vocals.

ceedee said...

Ah, the voice. I understand what both KC and Pres are saying and it surely isn't the dynamic instrument Richard's was. But there's something I find really affecting about it. Maybe he's sounds more like a bluesman than a rock n roller and that disconnect makes the records a bit of a contradiction but I like the lived in quality in his voice. Matter of taste I know and it leads into the debate about things like Billie Holiday's final recordings for example and the almost voyeuristic interest in their cracked, broken down magnificence. Might have wandered a bit off topic there. I like his voice is all.

Preslives said...

Yea, taste is taste. If you find his voice enjoyable and affecting, then that is all that matters. Myself, what might bother me the most about his vocals is that they go off pitch so often. The earlier recordings are more tolerable in that regard. The later records posted above get close to fingernails on a blackboard for me.

ceedee said...

And that's fair enough Pres. Cloth ears are more forgiving.

tpee said...

Sure Richard had more ability but this guy was the original and as such he deserves a place in our music history. Sometimes I appreciate music for itself and other times I appreciate it as an audible history lesson, this guy mostly fits into the latter. Many thanks

fcapeau said...

I'll never go tired of this music. Many thanks KC.

Lou Cypher said...

@Kingcake : I planned to upload Rockin' The Joint to Blue Dragon, but I remembered you had posted it here before. So I checked all the links, and it turns out they're all dead. So, with your permission, I'll rip and scan my own CD and artwork and post it later today.

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=4XIPDXGJMC-Vintage Voola 1987 (1966).rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1QZKUBMPBM-Sock It To Me Baby 1965.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=4TILH3GYCV-The Lost Norton Session 1966.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2VCKMZFWCX-I Never Danced Nowhere plus 1962-1968.rar

Anonymous said...

I keep getting temporary error on the first file but the others downloaded fine.
I'll come back later and try it again......
Thank you for the music...

Wayne

Unknown said...

Hey KC, i pointed someone who requested Eskew Reeder to your blog ,as we posted only one . What are friends for right? LOL.Thanks for the post and your great blog. Regards

GuitarGus said...

It's a dilemma for us all...Both are great ...Richard is more exciting and wilder...and maybe the best ever black Rock 'n' Roller ... We are blessed with both

GuitarGus said...

It's funny but back in the 60's Blues ...acoustic and electric ..R&B...R'n'R and Soul didn't seem so genre separate...and it was good...

KingCake said...

@Blue DeVille - you bet! You will notice that I sent them to Blue Dragon for the first collection of 50's stuff.

Anonymous said...

GREAT post! I had no idea Little Richard didn't play piano (yet) on his early sides! Thanks for the schoolin'! - Stinky

Unknown said...

Does anyone know the woman on the last picture?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.