Yesterday afternoon we lost the great Cosimo Matassa, the iconic recording engineer responsible for more great music than seems even possible. This afternoon the skies opened up and cried giant, driving tears, mirroring our pain. I daily shop at the grocery store that bears his name and is nowadays manned by his grandchildren; I once sat between Cosimo and Dave Bartholomew at the funeral of a mutual friend, the only time that I had the honor of making his acquaintance.
One by one we continue to lose those great musical heroes that made New Orleans the center of the Musical Universe. With each passing I feel the loss more acutely; I suppose that this is part of growing old, but I can tell you that it REALLY SUCKS! Goodbye Cos, I'll think of you often when I pass the old J&M on Rampart, Soul City on Gov. Nichols or Jazz City on Camp.This 4 disc set is just the first of two (I.E. 8 discs!)! These back covers will expand when clicked on.



8 comments:
Cosimo Matassa Story, Disc 1.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8ZDJNFI4Z2
Cosimo Matassa Story, Disc 2.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=00SCUXHYVI
Cosimo Matassa Story, Disc 3.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=4DVZSTDXM2
Cosimo Matassa Story, Disc 4.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9PRJBYEWEL
Great minds think alike. I just mentioned this in response to Poppa's post. This is a phenomenal collection, and should be on everyone's repeat list.
Perfect. I came upon this while Googling him today... and now I have it. Will be spinning all weekend, thanks KC.
What a perfect post, not to mention a generous offering, King. Thanks.
Wonderful post! In future years, when they open the history books on western music they will find that folk like Cosimo have provided much to study. Many thanks
Well Lurker, I DID have all intentions of posting this one as well as I made quite clear in the post if you read it
Not many of the old school NO musicians still playing. Walter Wolfman Washington, Uganda Roberts, Deacon John, Dr John and Al Johnson are all who are left as best as I can recall.
Out of all the music, thinking about Cosimo, remember one Christmas, about fourteen years old, Fats Domino 'Be My Guest' just released. It was perfect.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.