I couldn't find a decent review on this album so I will say a few things. If you were smart enough to DL the Apollo set, then you have whats necessary to understand what happened in Mahalia's career. These Columbia albums represent the peak of her fame, but in contrast with her early work, not the peak of her best music.
The "smart" minds behind the label wanted to extend her popularity and of course referred to the handbook while doing so. Most of the Columbia albums have a few strong moments but fail as being an overall exciting listen. There are a couple exceptions such as the amazing "Worlds Greatest..." and this album which I am sharing today.
I think everybody knows the relationship that Jackson had with the great doctor. She famously sang at his funeral and during his life, considered each other friends. So fitting is this tribute which stands as one of her best albums in my opinion. The music sticks to the nitty gritty and at times gets close to some gutter blues!!! All that said, I am highly recommending this album to everybody who stops into this blog.
The back cover contains a wonderful Q&A style interview so be sure to check it out. Ripped at 24/44.1 wav and dithered to 16/44.1 FLAC. I have begun using Click Repair which was needed on this one so BIG BIG thanks to KC. Enjoy!!!!
Columbia – CS 9686
1968
A2 Take My Hand Precious Lord
A3 Just A Closer Walk With Thee
A4 There Is A Balm In Gilead
A5 The Old Rugged Cross
B1 Rock Of Ages
B2 How I Got Over
B3 If I Can Help Somebody
B4 He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
B5 An Evening Prayer

6 comments:
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/51641374/file.html
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/21655037/file.html
Thank you so much Poppa, only one Mahalia !
Many thanks for this solid set. Oh, what a voice...
-peacenik
Hi.
I just discovered your blog today.
Amazing records are here.
Please, can you re-upload this record?
Thank you very much.
please a new link
Good Morning...please a new link....Thank's a Lot
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.