Thursday, July 31, 2014

Soul Of New Orleans

**Double disc compilation cramming 62 tracks of early soul music and 28-page booklet of liner notes** "New Orleans.... home of jazz, birthplace of the funk and, some would say, of rock'n'roll. No great controversy there, but The Big Easy's role in the history of soul music has been less well documented. Part of the 'History of Soul' series, this compilation of tracks illustrates the depth and breadth of music produced in the city between 1958 and 1962. Music that went way beyond R&B, taking into soul the joyous rhythms of funky second line parade bands, the gospel-based piano triplets of barrelhouse wizards and the tight horn sections of Allen Toussaint and Dave Bartholomew, whose arrangements from would later inform the classic Stax sound. The familiar names are all here: Irma Thomas, Aaron Neville, Eddie Bo, Bobby Marchan but so are the lesser known but fabulous Ray Washington, Berna Dean, Martha Carter and Chuck Carbo. So prepare to be blown away by some of the most exciting, deep and affecting sounds that ever came from Louisiana and made their way into soul as we know it."

11 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=92BHWRSJR2-soul_of_new_orleans,_disc_1.rar
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=3PYBIHFZCB-soul_of_new_orleans,_disc_2.rar

pmac said...

Aw, hell to the feakin' yeah!! This is a monster compilation that should not be overlooked by anyone!

Anonymous said...

I am suitably blown away, thankyou. Fluff

g said...

Where to start? Turned on the lap-top this morning and decided to do my studyes at DeepSouthernSoul early in the day and saw this set and read the lesson and then decided to go for extra credit and give them (2 lessons in 1) a listen and get the whole picture. Don't want to start mentioning names for fear I would leave one out - want to hear some of the reasons why some people will argue that without New Orleans we wouldn't have 'Rock 'N' Roll' - listen to these recordings. Soul music - check out these songs from New Orleans. R&B - check out New Orleans. Just listening to these recordings - it just points out that most of the 'popular' music we listen to proves that there "Ain't No City Like New Orleans". Granted it has a song that I have loved since the first time I heard it - can I say Earl "Trick Bag" King? ...Trick Bag. More of the names ( said I wasn't going to name drop - thanks to the King's Crypt I learned more than I knew about Johnny "The Tan Canary" Adams than I knew - and I was fortunate to have seen him play in New Orleans. Irma Thomas, Ernie K-Doe, too many more to mention. Then, looking and listening to some of these and smiling - you recognized the song but not the singer and Professor King Cake has given us the handouts to read - I'm sorry he scanned the booklets. Right now I'm listening to Chris Kenner's "Somethng You Got" - had heard that over the years and didn't know much of or about the song....other than had seen it played live more than a few times when Poppa Funk would go into his, is it called his Box Of Funk and go in and out of a few songs during a Funky Meters show. Somebody wants to hear music from New Orleans - listen to this and it's past the point of a good start. Then you can take them up a few years - and hand them - well too many to mention but make sure you give them some Wild Magnolias. Thanks

dS said...

awesome! thanks for this one...

poppachubby said...

KC I simply love you.

Anonymous said...

Top post!! Jessie Hill springs out for me - his Naturally lp would be very cool but asked that already I guess.. thanx & peace

Anonymous said...

Wake Up - Al Robinson I like! Larry Williams did that song too - would be nice to see some of Larry (lots of obscure?) once!? Thanks for your superb blog - probably the best around

Anonymous said...

o no my mistake - wake from Larry is a totally different song but there is another cover for sure..

GuitarGus said...

I have this on cd
But it's nice to hear from some new visitors
Cheers

lucky5 said...

Great post, Thank you, KC!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.