"The vocal duo of James Lee Purify (born May 12, 1944, Pensacola, Florida) and his cousin Robert Lee Dickey (September 2, 1939, Tallahassee, Florida – December 29, 2011, Tallahassee) formed in 1965. Dickey had previously worked as a guitarist with the Dothan Sextet. The duo were signed by Don Schroeder to Bell Records in 1966, with Dickey taking his cousin's surname as a stage name. They had immediate success with "I'm Your Puppet", written by Spooner Oldham and Dan Penn and produced by Penn at the FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The record, released in September 1966, spent 14 weeks on the US chart and sold an estimated one million copies.
Although "I'm Your Puppet" was their biggest hit, they had several further successes on both the Hot 100 and R&B chart in the US in the late 1960s, including a revival of "Shake a Tail Feather", originally by The Five Du-Tones, and "Let Love Come Between Us". Oliver's cover of the twosome's 1968 hit "I Can Remember" reached the top 25 of the Billboard Easy Listening Chart in the mid summer of 1970. The duo continued to record and tour together until 1971, when Dickey retired from the music business for health reasons and returned to Tallahassee, where he worked as a city maintenance supervisor as well as singing and playing guitar with his church and as a member of the Bethlehem Male Singers.
James Purify then worked as a solo singer until 1974, when Penn introduced him to Ben Moore (James B. Moore, born 1941, Atlanta, Georgia). Moore had previously worked with Otis Redding, James Brown and as a member of Jimmy Tig and the Rounders, before forming half of the duo Ben and Spence, who recorded for Atlantic Records in the 1960s. Moore adopted the stage name "Bobby Purify", and the duo toured together until the 1980s. They re-recorded "I'm Your Puppet", which became a #12 hit in the UK in 1976, and an album, Purify Bros...Moore began recording as a solo singer for Mercury Records in 1977, and (as "Bobby Purify") released an album, Purified in 1979. He also continued to tour as half of the duo with James Purify. He was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1983, in the category of Best Soul Gospel Performance - Traditional, for the song "He Believes In Me". In 1998, Moore went blind from severe glaucoma and completely dropped out of the music industry. With the encouragement of Ray Charles, however, he returned to performing and recording. Following a new Bobby Purify album, the Dan Penn-produced Better To Have It in 2005, he joined the gospel band Blind Boys of Alabama."
10 comments:
Thanks KC
Only ever heard the hit so should be interesting
Cheers
Hello King...
Once again I'm taken into the musical time capsule - I remember James & Bobby Purify - and still can't remember which came first - "I'm Your Puppet" or "Bend Over Lemme See You Shake A Tail Feather" but still have the singles.....Learned, years later - before this blog, of the work of Dan Penn but now, through the magic of this blog, discover that one of the 'Purify Brothers" became of the Blind Boys Of Alabama. Once again thanks to your textbook on southern soul. As a matter of fact, remember seeing Bobby & James Purify make an appearance on at least 1 TV show in/at from Philadelphia and it wasn't American Bandstand! Many thanks for the music and the knowledge you share on the blog
You are truly prescient. My middle daughter was listening to Dan Penn with me the other day and asked who the singers were who scored a big hit with Penn's "I'm Your Puppet." I had to dig through my collections to find James and Bobby Purify 's version. Now she and I can achieve a moment of father-daughter bonding by listening to this. Then again I have told her that this blog is a goldmine for valuable nuggets which I have too often overlooked to focus on buying and listening the so-called big names. She, I, and my budget will appreciate this greatly. Thanks so much.
Wow, this Purify cd is chock full of groovy tunes. I imagine folks would see them as a "poor man's" Sam & Dave, but many of these tunes are every bit as good as S&D's, with a slightly sweeter overall tone. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing this. -john
Never heard anything but the hits. Many thanks!
This is sooooo f#*?%&$g great!
Any chance for a re-up? All Links are dead. Thank You
http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/yNSw4Mmm/file.html
Thanks very much!
Thank you, thank you so much for reposting this. I somehow missed this the first time around. Saw them in Detroit at a teen dance around 1970 and they totally rocked the house. So nice to hear some of these rarer cuts again.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.