Yet another absolute essential and the logical third leg of this segment." Although Alberta Hunter, who had briefly come out of retirement, gets first billing on this CD reissue, in reality she shares the spotlight with two other veterans of the 1920s: Lucille Hegamin and Victoria Spivey. Each of the singers is featured on four songs apiece while backed by such top players as clarinetist Buster Bailey, trombonist J.C. Higginbottham, and Cliff Jackson or Willie "The Lion" Smith on piano. Hunter is in superior form on such numbers as "You Gotta Reap Just What You Sow" and "I Got a Mind to Ramble," although she would soon be out of music for another 15 years, continuing her work as a nurse. Hegamin (who had not recorded since 1932) was having a brief last hurrah, despite sounding good, and Spivey, reviving her "Black Snake Blues," would soon be launching her own Spivey label. This is a historic and enjoyable set recommended to both classic jazz and blues collectors." ~ Scott Yanow

8 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0HV1BHYVDR
Yeah I love these nostalgic revisits to the early days of blues and jazz with new (1960's technology !) - They have an atmosphere that is wonderfully organic and unique - And let us not forget...once upon a time these were THE THING ! Providing the springboard for all the great music yet to come
Cheers
I am at a loss for words. Victoria Spivey with Alberta Hunter and Lucille Hegemin? Music from the era when women were the queens of the blues? All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you before I head to the backyard to sacrifice a goat and sheep to thank the blues gods for this wonderful post. It's too damned difficult to practice hoodoo or voodoo here just north of the nation's capital and a few miles south of the Mason-Dixon line, so I have to make do with what I have to try to thank Baron Samedi and Papa Legba and the other loas for their generosity. Yet another reason to visit New Orleans, to get my mojo working so to speak. These last three posts have been a banquet and I am lingering at the table to savor the sweet, sweet aftertaste.
Just finished my initial listen - stunning. Especially shocked at the sound quality for such a vintage recording. Thanks KC!
Context is everything. Spivey was 60, Hunter 66 and Hegeman 67 when this LP was recorded. Aretha Franklin is 71, Irma Thomas is 72 and Denise LaSalle is 74.
All good all the time. My first listen to Lucille Hegemin. All three are special. Thank you much, KC.
Thank you. I never heard of this! I am thrilled.
Just ..... Great ! Listen to and receive communion ! Thanks, KC.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.