Saturday, October 5, 2013

Ray Agee - Vol 2, Somebody Messed Up

Yup, the same cover with a different title - this set too is 18 tracks and a bit different from the actual pictured LP but it does include the title track and most of that record, the rest is on part one.

The truth is, I've kind of jumped the gun here with these 2 sets since I've already discovered more tracks and Cliff has discovered that three of the tracks identified in the Blues Discography as being from 1965 are in fact from the 70's. That has resulted in my relabeling and reshuffling here at home and Cliff has ordered even more on disc so we will likely revisit Mr. Agee in a month or two, but these uploads were already done and the two sets still represent the most Agee ever offered on the web.

The more I am immersed in this stuff the more impressed I am with this guy. He really SHOULD be in that first sentence about the West Coast blues scene with Percy Mayfield, Charles Brown, Lowell Fulson, and T-Bone Walker. The songs and music are first rate and he is a really cool singer who mixed rock and then soul into his music really effortlessly. The dizzying array of labels and his near total obscurity speak to the idea that he never developed much of a following, but it also seems clear that the record men heard what I do because he kept getting recorded. I'm also thinking that he must have been at least somewhat successful on the jukeboxes of the black clubs to have managed so many singles (more than 120 songs) and a twenty five year career.

8 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9HBJBXKZZY

pmac said...

Just listened to vol. 2. Hot damn that's some fine music. His take on Soul of a Man is fantastic. Thanks KC!

GuitarGus said...

Damn ! Drive in the stake !
This is classic R&B that I love ! Sorry RA and KC for underating this guy for so long on one listen - Can I rewrite my R&B history like they used to in the USSR ? .... No ? ...OK ... Sorry RA .... You're a gem !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this discovery, KC. Both volumes are excellent. I will be looking forward to any additional tracks you and Cliff are able to dig up.

flatspin said...

Ray Agee is just unique. I can't go past the bluesy 'I Feel So Good'! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ray Agee's music was popular in Oakland and Richmonds, CA

Anonymous said...

Hey King, been listening to the Ray Agee collections again. This is prime stuff. Are you still considering posting additional tracks?
Thanks for the awesome shares!!!
-fm

Guitarradeplastico,scraping oddities said...

PLEASE RE-UP

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.