Thursday, July 18, 2013

B.B. King - The Jungle

The RPM and Kent recordings of B.B. King have been comprehensively anthologised on Ace, particularly in the last couple of years with the expanded reissues of B.B.’s Crown albums of the 1950s and early 1960s. However, there are still several B.B. projects on the Ace agenda, and we kick off 2008 with the man’s first entry in the Hip Pocket series – a ‘straight from the original master tape’ reissue of the man’s 1967 Kent album, “The Jungle”.

Of course, B.B. had left the Bihari brothers’ recording empire more than five years before an overdubbed version of the late 50s demo of The Jungle took him to #17 R&B / #94 Pop in the early summer of ’67. Its success merited the release of a full album, assembled from sessions that B.B. had cut mostly towards the end of his Kent tenure, and so it was that “The Jungle” also became the title of his first long player on Kent Records, eventually finding its way onto the various budget labels that were the Biharis’ main financial bread and butter during the late 60s and early 70s.

As well as giving collectors a chance to enjoy the original sleeve, featuring a red-suited Arthur Adams – in profile – masquerading as the Blues Boy, it also gives us a change to hear a original Kent album exactly as it was first released, with alternate stereo mixes and overdubs – some of which are different to those on overdubbed versions released elsewhere – on otherwise familiar tracks. These alternate mixes have never been available on CD before now, making it a must-buy for the B.B. completist



8 comments:

KingCake said...

https://mega.co.nz/#!aVpRSaAR!ejFPFQXWsMu9aCBgkh355kJbYawh8JQX8uZkEqBHdNw

Patsoul said...

Link for the "Live at the Regal" album
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0dk17uuo1ua564b/BB_KING_-_1965_-_Live_at_The_Regal_(US-ABC_PARAMOUNT_ABCS_509)_stereo_%C2%B0.rar
and if you go to this blog http:
//dirtyfunky.blogspot.fr/
(most of the posts are from Japan replica albums) you'll find maybe all the BB King reissues, Jr Wells, Howlin wolf, Sonny boy williamson, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Lowell fulsom etc.. but also a lot from Stax catalog - Albert King, Steve Cropper and some rare groups : Mad Lads, Ollie & Nightingales

Preslives said...

Thanks, KingCake. I didn't realize that this had been released. They actually did a good job with the horn overdubs. (I believe) the first BB King Modern/Kent material to appear on CD for Ace was a two disc Best of BB King set that included the horn overdubs. Critics proclaimed it a terrible mistake at the time to include the overdubs, and the music without overdubs has since been released in many formates. Call me crazy, but I actually like the horn overdubs. I still listen to the "Best of" CDS often for that reason.

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC
I do have almost all the Ace releases but not this - let me know if you want more BB
Cheers

Doccus Rockus Maximus said...

Hi.. I had the stereo CD reissue on myHD but the drive quit about a year ago. The cd's long since disappeared as well.. Do you still have the Jungle to do a reupload? Links dead. not surprisingly :-)
I've lost about 2 TB of the best blues, and all of the BB and Albert. I have much on tape but a lot never came out in stereo on that format.. Heartbreaking :sigh:
ps.. I agree with commenter Preslives (above) about the horn overdubs.. I have several of the Ace issues on cassette, (which sound excellent, btw) including the 2 volume "Best Of" issues. Love 'em..

Anonymous said...

Can we have a new link please?

Doccus Rockus Maximus said...

Please a new link! I cant find it even on official download sites, the stereo one, anyways..

juan said...

un nuevo enlace! ..por favor!!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.