"Groovin' with Jesus is soul music in every possible sense of the term -- few other records achieve so flawless a balance between the spiritual and the secular, offering salvation in both the Holy Ghost and the unholy groove. The Violinaires' postmodern gospel-funk fits comfortably alongside crossover acts like Aretha Franklin, channeling the power of the church to tackle the sociopolitical conflicts of the post-civil rights era -- from the Sly & the Family Stone-inspired title cut to covers of Hair's "Let the Sunshine In" and George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," Groovin' with Jesus never allows its higher purpose to undercut the low-down soulfulness of the music, delivering filthy funk in the classic James Brown tradition." AMG
Sunday, June 30, 2013
The Violiaires - Groovin' With Jesus
"Groovin' with Jesus is soul music in every possible sense of the term -- few other records achieve so flawless a balance between the spiritual and the secular, offering salvation in both the Holy Ghost and the unholy groove. The Violinaires' postmodern gospel-funk fits comfortably alongside crossover acts like Aretha Franklin, channeling the power of the church to tackle the sociopolitical conflicts of the post-civil rights era -- from the Sly & the Family Stone-inspired title cut to covers of Hair's "Let the Sunshine In" and George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," Groovin' with Jesus never allows its higher purpose to undercut the low-down soulfulness of the music, delivering filthy funk in the classic James Brown tradition." AMG
Labels:
Checker,
Gospel,
Violinaires

9 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8YH0KIRWQG
"the Holy Ghost and the unholy groove"? sounds right up my alley. can't wait to hear. thanks KC
Wonderful KC. Funky as a midgie's toot toot but still those glorious harmonies. Let us pray together.
First, this selection is great and fulfills my weekly expectation that gospel will be provided for my and other’s listening enjoyment. However, the song selection and music raise for me an issue that has confused me for a long time, at least since I saw “Say Amen, Somebody” and was introduced to a genre and tradition about which I had previously known little. When I listen to gospel, the music, not the words, evoke in me exactly the same emotional reactions that allegedly secular soul music, rhythm and blues, and blues do. Given the ability of some of the music to create an almost orgiastic frenzy or trance-like state of emotional passion, I don’t understand the dichotomy between sacred music and the devil’s music as it was so frequently labeled. I know such a dichotomy haunted Marvin Gaye and made it difficult for Sam Cooke to record gospel for a sizable audience after he had crossed the great divide that separated gospel from secular music, but to me it is all music emanating from the same origins and, if done well, propelling one to the same emotional highs, causing both the body and mind to react.
Having been raised in a different tradition, once I rejected the so-called divide between the body and spirit, it seemed to me that all music is ultimately an effort to create with language and sound something which reaches deep inside us and affects us on a primal level. I know the lyrics from the selection from Hair have been modified for the recording but I still remember when the Aquarian age and its philosophies were denounced as paganism. In other words, the very thing that makes this posting so great blurs the lines even more from me and leaves me confused that anyone could pronounce as inherently evil the range of emotions in the blues and its effort to preserve one’s pride and humanity pride in the face of daily oppression. I get the same feeling when I am watching Kirk Franklin or hear Christian rock. They negate the distinction that once seemed so important by borrowing from the genres that were supposed to be prohibited because of their worldliness.
I also think of Thomas Dorsey beginning as a blues and jazz musician and becoming the father of black gospel music and can’t help but think that the same talent and commitment were applied to all of his music. I’m not so cynical to think that gospel music is an ill-disguised excuse to give vent to the same passions that soul, rhythm and blues, and jazz provoke without having to acknowledge one’s sensuality but, not being read or informed on the topic, I listen to the borrowing from Sly, Hair, funk, and other influences in this post and think I really don’t understand that legendary distinction that estranged so many African American performers from their families and fans when they began singing so-called secular music. So much guilt induced to deter artists from expressing all facets of their humanity...
If the above seems simplistic or misses the point altogether, please excuse me. But everything from this blog to which I listen causes me to think about the history and forces behind its creation. I suppose this is my Sunday reflection after hearing the Word.
Thanks KC ( and FOB for your reflections )
I usually pass on most of the Sunday posts
I'm not of the Christian persuasion (but was once a choir boy) But USA gospel is one hell of an influence on the music I love - And this album is one mutha of a record !
Cheers
To respond, in part, to Feilimid O'Broin's comment: "...I really don’t understand that legendary distinction that estranged so many African American performers from their families and fans when they began singing so-called secular music." You need to remember that all musicians (all performers for that matter as well as all races) were considered 'shady' by a generally God fearing public. In colonial New England, for example, singing and acting, even in the home, were considered sinful. Pre-war country performers couldn't have female vocalists unless they were wives or sisters. In fact pre-war white performers often did religious music to redeem themselves in the eyes of their audience. (A trend which seems to have no equivalence among African-Americab performers).
I have to admit that the severity of rejection heaped upon Sam Cooke and O.V. Wright has always mystified me too - given the bad behavior of many, many gospel stars on the road (be they straight or gay), and the fact that even the majority of fans were aware of the drinking and fornication that has always been a winked at feature of the gospel road... the condemnation of an artist for choosing to make some money in secular music, but not for fathering numerous children by multiple women and not taking care of them, strikes me as blatantly HYPOCRITICAL.
Great observations, all! For these very reasons, I began putting together a YouTube playlist, "Jesus: Bigger Than the Beatles," https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMUnB4vc6zhU9US_x6eoV9YaxYNS3Slny
It's a chronological collection of songs of faith (1956 to the present) by artists whose music principally appealed to secular audiences. I was blessed that, during the days of my youth in the '70s, Jesus was Alright, and the airwaves were awash in songs of Christian hope and redemption for a broken world.
Matthew 9-11-13
“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” the Pharisees asked Jesus disciples. Jesus, overhearing them, said,
“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Philippians 1:15-19
I am well aware that some people out there are preaching the message of the Anointed One because of jealousies and rivalries. Their motives aren’t pure. They’re driven by selfish ambitions and personal agendas, hoping somehow to add to my pain here in prison. And I also know there are others who are preaching the Anointed from true goodness, motivated by love. They wish me the best because they know I’m here in prison in defense of the gospel.
So what do we do then? Listen. What matters is that in every way, regardless of the motives—whether pure or shady—the great story of the Anointed is a cause for joy. I will continue to rejoice because I know that through your encouragement and prayers and through the help of the Spirit of Jesus the Anointed, I will soon be released from this dark place.
Pois é mas esta sem link!!!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.